1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Pedal Purchasing Habits

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andvari7, Oct 5, 2008.

1. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    FOREWORD: I've been thinking about this for at least two years (since I've been purchasing bass effects, that is): under what circumstances do I REALLY buy effects?

ANALYSES: Striving for the perfect sound is always at the back of my mind, but it seems to me that my M.O. is to buy cool gear when something depressing, stressful or disappointing occurs. For instance, I bought my Rotary Ensemble when I convicted a man of two counts of murder, my Clyde Deluxe came, in part, as a means to console myself for a horrible temp job (andvari7, 1), and the possible 105Q purchase I'm currently involved in is due to the theatrical release of "High School Musical 3." Seriously - the first one made me want to drink heavily, the second one made me want to buy a Q-Tron, and the third one...

But, I've been going to concerts lately, and concerts also coincide with my pedal purchases - Black Russian (my black Russian Big Muff) and The Blue One (a Morley Pro Series II bass wah that I no longer own) were purchased right around the time I went Beyond Hell (a Wikipedia search of that term will explain). The Clyde came shortly before I saw the Kids In The Hall reunion show (my God, that was hilarious; andvari7, 1), and the LPB-1 came right before a Buckethead show last week. And the 105Q might come before the Residents next week. If not, before the Halloween show on the Electile Dysfunction Tour.

CONCLUSION: I need therapy, or a better-paying job. But, in the mean time, I can ponder the merits of a snazzy, white wah pedal, versus the annoying, but not overly disruptive, saccharine singing of actress Ashley Tisdale. I must admit, I do have a bit of a soft spot for both - the 105Q was a favorite pedal of mine in high school, and Ashley Tisdale was a recurring villain in the fourth season of "Kim Possible," which is my favorite non-MST3K show of all time. And, she's left-handed, which is also something that my ambi-sinister ass can appreciate.

REFERENCES:

andvari7. "Who Names Their Kids Clyde Anymore? An Initial Look at the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah." TalkBass, 2008.

Some random guy on the Wikipedia. "Beyond Hell." Wikipedia, 2006.

2. Anyone who references THEMSELVES in a footnote to a post obviously needs to buy more pedals. ;)

3. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    A trick I picked up from one of my favorite rappers: Dirt McGirt.

Note, if you will, how I have refrained from uttering a sacred, monosyllabic word - the name of a band I have referenced at least twice in this short article.

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I love this thread.

I buy new pedals when I get angry at any that I already have, due to their inability to continually fulfill my every wish and whim.

5. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Well, the thing is, as stupid as "High School Musical 2" was, the Q-Tron has become an integral part of my sound.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Let me get this straight...you got a murderer convicted and that makes you depressed? Hell, you should be proud, and then go buy a pedal because you're proud. You should associate them with happy occasions instead. Otherwise, it's going to be depression city every time you rock a pedal.

BTW, that's the first internet post I ever saw with footnotes. So I give you an A for report writing, but a C for subject matter ;)

7. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    No, I wasn't depressed about that. It was more of a stress thing - that's serious business - and, at that time, there were certain means of relaxing unavailable to me.

8. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    I think my purchases are around the same lines as yours. Whenever I'm bored/depressed/lonely/ well whenever any negative emotion is prevalent in my life for a span of days it seems like I take a trip to gui**** sucker and pick up something I don't really need but may at some point because it's cool.

9. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    This post amused me greatly. :p

I empathize-- for my part, I typically buy gear as a reward for something; I bought a Bass Micro Synth as a reward for passing my hazmat manager's exam.

Consider this a qualified peer review of your data and conclusions;)

10. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    The LPB-1 was a purchase I made that celebrated something: it celebrated the completion of the Amazing Technicolor Nightmare Pedalboard.

11. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Clever, but... why does a children's movie depress you? I don't get depressed when sesame street on ice comes to town.

12. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I guess it's not really depression, but more of a "What on earth do people see in this nonsense" feel. Actually, it's more of a joke than anything else (the bass wah is actually because I found a REALLY good deal on it), and I write my articles as to hone my humor skills as I do to have any substantive contributions to this forum.

13. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    Dirt McGirt you say?

like... Dirt McGirt who was also part of Bella Futuro?

small small world.

[spunj13]

14. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Best.... post.... ever! Really!

15. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    This sounds like the opening to a short story. A bit Iain Banks. I like.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! I can dig that. It was pretty funny.

17. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I've not heard about that; I was thinking of Ol' Dirty Bastard - the ODB - Ason Unique - Dirt McGirt...