Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Pedal Setup & Do I Need a Loooper?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Here's what I am proposing: Bass-> Boss TU-2-> Boss Bass EQ-> EH POG-> Analogman Clone Chorus-> Akai Deep Impact-> Emma DiscumBOBulator-> Boss RC20-XL-> amp

1. So what do you think of the order?
    2. Would you use a Loooper to bipass all those effects? Each one has a true bipass, but all those connections make me somewhat uneasy.
    3. If you say yes to a loooper, would you get the tuner mute and would you get a 1 loooper or a 2 loooper?

Thanks, Bob

2. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    I think the order would be best if you went -

EH POG
    Deep Impact
    DiscumBOBulator
    Chorus
    EQ
    RC-20

Both the POG and Deep Impact could benefit from the cleanest of signals, then I placed the chorus after those and the Envelope because it could take any one of the previous effects and thicken them up a bit, and Modulations generally come after everything but reverb. Place the EQ after all effects except the RC-20 because if you have a combination of effects that cause you to loose bottom or other frequencies you need, the EQ could be set to assist here. Then of course the looping station.

As far as the loooper goes, do you have several pedals that you always kick in together? If so, then those would be the effects you place in the loop, and a loooper would be beneficial to you. Otherwise IMHO all your pedals are true bypass, so I would think a loooper would be frivolous at best. The TM option isn't that expensive, and it would probably have better sale value.

BTW, I have a loooper (1 loop w/tuner mute, stutter and blend options, as well). With your rig (those are some killer pedals there!), if you decide to get a loooper, may I suggest you also get the stutter option. With the pedals you have listed, it may assist with even more invention and creativity, and particularly with different effects passed through the RC-20.

Cheers

3. Bassmanbob

Thanks. Any other opinions??? Anyone agree or disagree with Ceti?

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    are you sure those boss pedals are true bypass? in my experience they really suck tone...

my new setup (i just ordered a 1 loooper with TM) will be

1 Loooper for Boss OC2 Octave, Tuner Mute to Fender ST1 stage tuner, to Crowther Audio prunes and custard to Emma Discombobulator...

the last 2 are true bypass...

5. Bassmanbob

I'm not sure about the Bass EQ but the RC20-XL is. I havenot noticed a tone suck when I've used the Bass EQ in teh past. I think I'm going to test it out again tonight with it lugged in and with out back to back.

6. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    it would be cool if the RC20-XL is true bypass! i've never been able to try one... but yeah i've particularly noticed the octave pedal (its pretty old) really hyping my highs and dropping a little bass when using it with a di for recording...

cheers

7. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    Here's my custom LOOOPER. 2 loops, tuner out, volume cut pots with on/off switches. Currently, one loop is my synth pedal setup (fuzz, octave, filter) the other is a choralflange. Nice to be able to engage three separate effects at once.

[​IMG]

8. Bassmanbob

I think I'm going to go with a 2 loooper pedal with a TM for tuning. First looop will be the bass EQ with the EH Poly Octivator Generator and the second looop will be with the chorus, deep impact and the discumBOBulator, then I'll go to the RC20-XL and then to the amp.

Any other effect order change opinions. I didn't notice any tone suck from the Boss BassEQ while it was on or off.

9. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    A looper just allows you to get the full signal from your bass to the amp -Right?

10. Bassmanbob

You are right, but more specificly, a loooper allows you to bipass all your effects that you include in that loop. It can also allow you to engage more than one effect at a time if they are in the same loop with only one button being pressed. In other words, if you want to engage your EQ pedal with your distorsion pedal, you can turn them on when convenient with the loooper off, then engage the loooper and it will activate both pedals at the same time.

Many peopleuse looopers for that purpose and others use it if they have an effect that drains tone, by adding this effect to a loop, you can bipass this efect and it's draw backs.

11. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    So what are some good loopers - The high end ones and maybe there prices.

I have to say I love the Ghandi quote. Im going to add something to mine not too.

Thanks, Mike

12. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    and here it is - - -

13. Bassmanbob

OK That works for me.

www.loooper.com is where I'd get mine.

14. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Just wanted to add a piece of info for everyone which I recently found out myself... the emma discumbobulator is NOT 3PDT true bypass.
    I emailed godlyke distribution here in the USA asking if the emma was true bypass and this was the response I got:

"No, it is DPDT bypass and the input stage is attached when bypassed but reading a resistance of about 1 Meg ohm, which the input signal does not "see" and thus passes it by. This configuration actually has a lower resistive load in bypass than "true bypass" using a 3PDT switch"

I was bummed when I got that response...for me spending $190 US dollars, is a 3PDT switch too much to ask?

Hope this helps anybody else that might have been wondering the same thing. It IS an awesome sounding filter though.