Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My personal very custom pedalboard build....here we go.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mr. Majestic, Dec 2, 2010.

Your message has been submitted and will be displayed pending approval by a moderator.
  1. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    My new love is for pedals and I wanted to build a custom pedalboard. I have been searching online and read many reviews on tons of pedals. Anyways, I have put together what I wanted and started looking for THE pedalboard to get. Never found a super custom pedalboard that spoke out so I gointo build it. I'm not going to say too much, but my background will work out. ;)
    These are the pedals I have or will purchase: Aguilar tone hammer, ernie ball volume jr., mxr m-288, mxr m-152, mxr carbon copy, markbass compressore, bbe sonic stomp, sonic turbo tuner, H2O liquid chorus, VT bass, ebs valvedrive, and a whammy pedal. I looked up all the measurements and cut out paper tabs that represent the pedals.
    I drew up several different types of pedalboards and layed out my cutouts to determine the size I need to build. I then searched through my mountain of custom wood and decided to use some highly flamed maple and wenge. Cut out smaller pieces to get the exact angles I wanted.
    Got a ways to go, but I'll post up the pics as it comes along. There are many different things I have in mind to make work and I'll post that later.

I'll try and get the pictures posted in a little bit...

2. Register_To_Disable

3. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Finding the angles I want.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ripped the wenge to size.
    [​IMG]

I gathered the flame maple for the top, layed the cutouts on top, then made up the joint and then glued it up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then cut my wenge, glued and fastened them together, cutout the flame maple for the sides and mocked it up. I'm going to wait on connecting the maple into the wenge, I want to route the joints to make them independent, instead of allowing them to run together for a tight joint. I am also thinking about working out a custom inlay in the front.....we'll see!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Tomorrow I will remove the top from the clamps and start the next process. I laid out the pedalboard with a few ideas, not mentioned, it has to deal with a gang pedal bypass looper.

5. SuperTbass

SuperTbass

Aug 29, 2010
    Ohio
  6. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    That looks great! Cant wait to see the end result.
    Go for the fancy top dude! Dont hold back and pimp that thing out! You got room for lights up front, maybe decorations too. :D

7. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    interesting design dude!

8. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Well, I wasn't able to work on this beast today. I will get started early in the morning and post up some more pics.

9. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    looking forward to see watching this progress. This is going to be a really nice board. I think I'm being inspired.

10. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    Interesting project and good choice on the pedals. Thanks for sharing this ....

11. metalinthenight

metalinthenight Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    super sweet. I'm just wondering how much it is going to way :eek:

12. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    <singing>Hottttt</singing>

The wenge makes it :) Love the trapezoidal cross-section too. Looking forward to seeing it as it goes along!

13. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    To be honest, I really don't care about the weight because it will be set up permanently at church. I did think about weight, if I make another to travel with. I would resaw all of the pieces on the next one and cut the weight down....but this one is a permanent pedalboard. I'll post up the weight when im done.

14. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Are you going to recess the pedals a bit into the top? That would be kinda hip actually.

15. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I thought about hiding the pedals, but decided to go ahead and let them show along with the custom top. I do have something planned to have recessed, the gang bypass/looper. It won't get modified until later, though.

16. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
  17. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I got the pieces sanded out, cut to size, put together and the finish started. I'm. Headed to church, but will post some pictures later.

18. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Alright fellers, I sanded forever to bring out the issues the boards had. I didn't take any pics, but I started with 80 grit, then went to 100, and then to 220 grit with my random orbital sanders. I then pulled out any swirls with 220 grit and my custom sander. After that I routed a chamfer edge on most all of the pieces that join together. Sanded up the routes and then brought out the pocket screw jig. All the pieces got the holes drilled for the pocket screws and installed. After the sides went together, I cut the top to exact specs, cut the holes, and screwed together. After it went together, I broke out the sanders....again. I prepped it for the finish, blew off all the dust, and then sprayed on the first coat of laquer sanding sealer. I don't have any pics of with the finish on it. The flame doesn't show up very well on those pics, so I'll post up some later with the sealer on it.
    The next steps will be sanding out the sanding sealer, add another coat, let it dry, sand it lightly, then start the laquer. I plan on inlaying something into the front, drilling holes for the cords, installing the plugs and electronics under the bottom. I have a few things I want to do in the future to the side that is shortest. Since everything has been installed with pocket screws, I can remove the piece and do the work on it and put it back on.

PICS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

Nov 21, 2007
    Canada
    That is the coolest board I have ever seen.

20. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    it's going to be heavy though, won't it? Will you get a case for it, for travel?