My Phone Rang!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by TroyK, May 19, 2021.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I get my second shot tomorrow morning and I got a call with a really nice gig offer for the first Friday in July.

I'm back, baby!

Seanto, Scott Lynch, DrMole and 27 others like this.
  2. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I was sitting around with my vaccinated friends the other day, and the subject of work came up. Somebody said, "This guy called me to do a 5 hour private party for $125 bucks! Can you believe it?".

I said, "You know we're getting back to normal when musicians start complaining about gigs again". (Not that you're complaining, I just found that funny)

Congrats.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Lucky you - my next one is in August. But I hope to put together some recording sessions before then.

4. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I've played my first two gigs this month. I got so excited on the first one that I blew up both of my cabinets!!

5. Might as well call my band Scam Likely.
    :roflmao:

MynameisMe and dhergert like this.
  6. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Glad to see this thread, thanks @TroyK for starting it -- I was being shy about it.

I played my first real DB gig since January 2020, on this last Sunday. I was the "guest bassist" for a paid roots/bluegrass "Jam Workshop".

I was afraid I'd be unprepared, or that I'd have forgotten everything. And over the last year I've had to partially re-learn every instrument that I play due to onset of RA in both of my hands, so I was also nervous about that. California hasn't completely reopened yet so I had some nervousness related to that too -- despite vastly improved statistics, social distancing and masks are still the standard here. Essentially, this was the gig I almost didn't take...

The gig went great, for ~5.5 hours total gig-time, probably ~3+ hours of actual playing time. It was fun musically, and it was fun playing with real people again! I played one "featured" song on banjo at the start of the workshop, and then after the workshop I jammed two or three songs on mandolin, the rest of the music time was on DB.

Everything felt natural again. The bass lines fell right into place for each song in each selected key, most songs which I haven't played on DB at all for well over about 18 months. All my re-learned techniques worked. Very positive reports came from the workshop teacher and participants.

What a great way to come back on the local scene again musically!

Icing on the cake -- no blisters, no soreness. All the setup work, online jamming and at-home practice seems to have really paid off.

I think I'm back! :thumbsup:

7. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    Did a porch concert in Asheville on Sunday with the new Western Swing band. That “Back in the Saddle” seemed about right

8. rknea

rknea Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Boise, ID
    Idaho is fully open now...no masks required. We have 2 gigs this weekend!! Pretty stoked!

9. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    I’ve had a few gigs in the last month, outdoors at local wineries (there are over 500 wineries in the Willamette Valley). Even though I’m fully vaxxed , I’m still nervous about the idea of being in a crowd indoors, but I did have my first two indoor rehearsals this week, both with folks who are also all vaccinated. Slowly the new normal begins to take shape.

MynameisMe and Roxbororob like this.
  10. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Tuesday night I'm headed over to play at Tony Gaboury's house.

I'm eager to gig but, as with @Ed Fuqua 's old NYC session band, I'd play in a treehouse with Tony!

Roxbororob likes this.
  11. neddyrow

neddyrow @TeddyPlaysBass - Instagram Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    our band is fully vaccinated and gigs are on the calendar!

we have been practicing like crazy and hope to blow people away when we make our triumphant return!

oren, Sam Sherry and Roxbororob like this.
  12. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Let’s see those gig reports!
    I have an EB job Saturday.

oren, Roxbororob and unbrokenchain like this.
  13. Drew Tanner

Drew Tanner Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Marietta, OH
    This was a blast. We rented the town gazebo for $25 for a free open air concert on Sunday, then made $600 on tips and tee shirts. About 150 people in the park. We’ll play again on June First Friday when Marietta kicks off their DORA “designated outdoor refreshment area” for open carry of adult beverages downtown. And we’ve got the local sternwheel riverboat booked for a floating concert on Labor Day weekend. It definitely feels good to be getting back toward ‘normal.’ DD643E2C-1959-45D2-A17D-4B9DD23912BC.jpeg E04544AA-DD10-410A-9A5C-1B6C67C7A205.jpeg 282158FC-3CE7-48BA-BD73-A119FD8AE900.jpeg

Supadope, oren, Sam Sherry and 8 others like this.
  14. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    We have our first gig since last February this weekend. But it's "virtual" booo.

15. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    No gigs, but our regular Sat a.m. farmers' market jam starts up this Sat. (I'll be out of town this week.) They used to pay us in donuts and coffee - hope COVID hasn't ended that! They haven't changed their planned procedures (masks/distancing/different location) since the most recent guidance. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Also wonder when/if the nursing homes will ever let our band return...

16. MrSidecar

MrSidecar Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I’m starting easy with some electric jobs next weekend and the weekend after.

The great thing is, there’s quite a few things happening now that were just postponed again and again, and now they’re lumping together in early summer up to mid-July. And after the summer vacation, things look pretty ok as well.

In terms of vaccination, I’ll have to quote Liam Gallagher, as it fits my situation:
    upload_2021-5-20_17-34-9.png

best
    Sidecar

DrMole, Roxbororob and unbrokenchain like this.
  17. MrSidecar

MrSidecar Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I might add, I played some “virtual” stuff (streaming concerts mostly for mid-sized corporations accompanying their Friday-afternoon MS Teams get-together). Those were REALLY hard because without any noticeable audience, I found it’s not that easy to actually stay “in the moment”.

best
    Sidecar

18. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    A king’s ransom I’d say :D

oren and Roxbororob like this.
  19. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick Gold Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    I’ve had weekly gigs since Octoberish. All masked and mostly duos. Currently I’m at 3-4 gigs/week this past month or so and going forward. I’ve even turned some stuff down. So plenty of work is out there. Perhaps you have to look harder, drive further, play for smaller crowds, and make less pay for the time being.

Roxbororob likes this.
  20. I've got a gig tonight and another tomorrow.

oren and Roxbororob like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021