My Phone Rang!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by TroyK, May 19, 2021.

1. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I played a duo gig a couple of weeks ago, on the patio of a coffee house. All that practicing - an hour a day - I've been doing for over a year resulted in a) better sightreading and intonation than ever, and b) mild disappointment that I didn't get to use the bow.

Then, three days later, my community-college string orchestra had its concert. No live audience. I was the only bassist (that makes me the Principal :laugh:), and I'd never played in an orchestra before this past February. But the director sent me an email afterwards thanking me, saying I "made the orchestra sound better." I think I've found my later-in-life musical direction!

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Lee Moses, DrMole, BobbyT and 9 others like this.
  2. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

I've had three so far and one tomorrow and one next Monday.

I'm developing and nurturing some new clubs and venues.

I'd love to see this be our break-out year. The band is ready.

3. rickwolff

So naturally I'm thinking about buying another DB.

4. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Did you sell another boat? ;)

DrMole and rickwolff like this.
  5. rickwolff

I've sold all the boats except my 10 ft nesting dinghy and my kayak.

dhergert likes this.
  6. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

My Phone Rang!
    I'm getting 6 weeks of the LA Times delivered for $1.00!
    Sundays included!!

7. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

I'm no big fan of the LA Times, but, I find it's worth it. NY Times and the Washington Post too. As much as they're disparaged, I keep finding lots of differing opinions in the NYT and WP and less so in the LAT, but still useful local news without a huge tilt.

Don Kasper likes this.
  8. rickwolff

Congratulations, Don.

Just think of all the gigs you'll be able to find in the Want Ads section.

Roxbororob, Joshua and Don Kasper like this.
  9. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick Gold Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    You really need one....

10. rickwolff

Thanks, Jim. I have forwarded your post to SWMBO.

11. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    Anyone else finding that despite rigorous daily shedding and playing with recordings and improvement in lots of ways for the last 14 months, when you get to play with a real band you suck?

oren likes this.
  12. rickwolff

Nope. With no daily shedding or playing with recordings, now that I am playing with other people I sound just like I did before.

But that doesn't really answer your question. I guess you'd have to ask those other people I'm playing with.

13. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I suck less than I did.

MynameisMe likes this.
  14. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    We've been willing to do some gigs for very low or even no pay to help out struggling venues as they start to come back, telling them that if it's successful we look forward to more lucrative engagements later. People have really appreciated our willingness to be flexible.

15. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    I guess what I'm trying to say is I think the practice of being in the moment is irreplaceable to a jazz improvisor. I definitely did not suck before quarantine. There's a Ron Carter interview where he talks about transcription not being valuable (while hawking a new book of transcriptions of his bass lines!!) because you don't know what all the elements going on were when the choices were made that created that line. That's the kind of thing I suck at right now. Ordered the book, BTW.

AGCurry and oren like this.
  16. Nothing says "live music" like 87 degrees with 95% humidity with the sun beating down on me for hours, free beer and getting paid! Judging by the tip jar, people are more than happy to be getting out and about also. Maybe it will be 90 degrees when we start today.

17. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Well, there are at least two ways to suck: Physical, and mental. For the mental, yes, playing with others is absolutely the best path to improvement, and there is indeed a challenge coming back to it after months without.
    Physical, i.e. technique? We do that mostly alone, I think.

18. Fatigue will challenge the unsuspecting bassist; physical and mental. Focus, perseverance and finding ways to relax in the moment will get us through difficult passages. Welcome back to all the gigging bassists whose schedules are picking up!

19. Up and Away

Up and Away

May 16, 2015
    No gigs, jams or rehearsals here in Ontario, still in lockdown. No idea when things will open up. I'm in two bands and my last gig was in February 2020, getting real itchy to play with other people again.

20. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Welp, my fingers were utterly shredded last night but on the flip side, I managed to keep things together better than I’d imagined (this on a borrowed bass with stiff orchestra strings). First jazz gig (quartet) in well over a year and a welcome wake up call to incorporate significant pizz practice so as to further develop calluses and re-learn/remind myself how to be relaxed while upping my endurance/strength.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Sam Reese likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021