1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My pickup fell in

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by redsox&bass, May 14, 2006.

1. redsox&bass

redsox&bass

Apr 28, 2006
    my pickup fell in!:help:
    and when i bring it back up and tighten the screws nothing happens HELP :help: :help: :help:

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Guys will this work? Someone help.
    Get a high powered magnet and pull it out that way :)

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Turn the bass upside down?

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Cut a mouse pad and put in under the pickup.

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    This has happened to me (and others) with the Basslines Quarter Pound: the cover holds the adjustment screws, the cover comes off, the pickup sinks to the bottom of the rout.

I (and others) take the packing foam out of the box the pickup came in, cut it in half, and put each half under each half of the P pickup. It helps if you use the original adjustment springs instead of the supplied rubber tubing around the adjustment screws.

6. redsox&bass

redsox&bass

Apr 28, 2006
    tryed that
    edit: My REAL problem isnt that i can get it up. It's that when I tighten the screws it doesnt stay!

7. Just use a little foam strip, the kind they use for door jams.

8. dude, seriously, too much innuendo for this time of night :p

Anyways, aye, use the original springs and have come rubber tubing under them

9. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Are the screws even in the threaded holes?
    If you're pulling up the pickup cover and not the pickup itself then your probably just screwing air, which can leave you feeling unsatisfied.

Make sure you engage threads or it won't work, and if you're not able to make it hold then you may have stripped them out... in which case you can epoxy a nut to the bottom under the hole; or you can fill the hole and make a new hole in it that is small enough to fit snugly on the screw shaft.

10. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    :eek:

what kind of pups are they?

just use some foam

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    This made my night.

12. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Dude, screwing down the screws lowers the pickup. That's what it's MEANT to do. Don't tighten them down so much.

13. redsox&bass

redsox&bass

Apr 28, 2006
    SILLY ME I was just picking up the cover!:rolleyes:
    because the little threads are on the pickup it self and Im only get the cover.
    and I'm gonna use Lorenzinis idea of using a really high powered magnet

14. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Using a magnet sounds like a good idea to me too except that you have to remember that pickups don't come magnetized but are made into magnets and it's possible to change a magnets strength.
    I may be just paranoid about changing your pickups magnetic field but I would just take off the strings and pull the pickup out.

I'm assuming from the sound of it that you've got a pickguard the pickup is mounted in and it'll be a piece of cake to put back in place with the pickguard off.

15. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I wouldn't use a strong magnet. If a piece of unmagnetized steel won't grab it enough to lift out, carefully pry it out with a very small screwdriver, being carefull to not damage the windings, or anything else.

Double sided tape might do it too.

16. redsox&bass

redsox&bass

Apr 28, 2006
    ya know what? Screw it! I cant plug it into an amp anyway so it doesnt really matter
    I'll just call that my experiment bass. To take apart and see the insides! The bass it self is really old. I'll just play it when its quiet enough that i dont need an amp

17. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Go for it! I take everything apart, even if it just came from the factory, just to see what's inside.

As long as you've got any common sense you're not going to hurt anything and you'll be on the road to being your own minor repair tech, the only guy who'll work on your gear at 3 in the morning and weekends!

18. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Lol
    This is a funny thread.

19. redsox&bass

redsox&bass

Apr 28, 2006
    why yes it is
    im just gonna bring it to the shop so ya