Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My pickup vibrated loose, please help.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Aug 30, 2001.

1. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Hello... i have a carvin lb-75 with the MM Humbucker in it (yes i know those aren't too cool) but during a show the other day i was playing and noticed that my g string wasn't making noise because the pole pieces were touching the string. It seems to me like the pickup had vibrated itself loose. I pressed down on the pup and used my other hand to tighten the screw. This worked for the rest of the show but since then the same thing has happened again.
    Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? Has anyone had the same problem? Does threadlock work in wood?
    Thanks for any help.

2. I am not sure if the thread lock will work, I don't think it could hurt. Try calling Carvin.

3. Short of calling carvin, I would take all the screws out that hold that pickup in and put a dot of Locktite on them and screw them back in. that should help prevent them from backing out on you again. I think a tube of Locktite is very cheap, mabe few dollars. If you do this, make sure you don't use more then a small dot, otherwise you may find the screws will not come out without a struggle. Also, keep in mind your pickup hight when messing with these screws. It will effect your sound more then you would think.

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    do you know for a fact that the thread lock will work on wood? I was thinking of shoving a toothpick in the hole and then screwing into that... i just don't want to do anything that will make my problem worse than it already is.. the last thing i wasnt is a bass-confinscating trip to the luthier

5. I've done it. Worked for me. I have also used a bit of superglue on the theads and that worked to, but locktite is easier to work with because it is thicker (less runny).

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    that's what i wanted to hear, personal experience, thanks for the help.

7. Post your results or drop me a TB email and let me know how you make out with this.