My plan...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnm0187, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Ok. I posted on starting a rig but everyone told me to save my money. SO...I think what I'm going to do is get a QSC RMX 1450 as a power amp and then get an Avatar 4x10. Right now i can afford the power amp and about half of the avatar. But once i get the avatar i'm going to use my current combo as the preamp then save up for a real Preamp. Does this sound like a good plan? and any advice on what preamp to get?

2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    3 pre amps you should check out.
    tech 21 sansamp RIB
    bbe bmax
    ampeg svp pro
  3. Your plan sounds good to me. It would be easier to recommend a pre-amp if we knew what style music you play and what kind of tone you like.

Check out A great resource for checking out preamps.
  4. I need something very versatile. Sometimes I really need to punch through and sometimes it needs to be laid back and smooth. Right now to do this I just switch basses, Spector and Warwick.

Thanks for the link

Edit: I'm leaning towards the Tech 21 Sansamp RBI because of the overdrive/distortion. Is the overdrive/distortion sound good?
  5. Buy used.

QSC amps have a 3 year warranty that is transferrable between owners. The amp itself is warrantied, not a silly piece of paper such as the receipt lost by the original owner. This is one of the beauties of QSC gear.

Remember the RMX amps are heavier. When racked with other gear, this gets to be onerous in the amount of weight being moved around. My (plywood) rack with a 21 pound PLX and other rack gear, weighs a total of 79 pounds and it is a pain in the butt to load out without assistance.

Weight aside, the RMX are excellent amps. Step up to the 1850HD if you can afford it, as it is designed to run all day with 2 ohm loads. I want one of these for my PA subwoofers. Nice gear, but heavy.

QSC amps always bring higher than my 66% of new-discount price for used equipment. Be careful you do not over pay. Preamps are a different story, and usually sell under this guide line. Again, buy used. You will inevitably trade up as your skills improve, so there is no sense in losing your investment as part of the learning process. You always lose your butt when you buy new, then sell it.
  6. That sounds like a real good idea. You're doing a real smart thing buy just saving up to be a nice rig. I hope you get it soon man!
  7. is the Tech 21 Sansamp RBI a good choice for a preamp?
  8. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've got the SABDDI and have run it through my Crate stack(using the head as a power amp) and it sounds nice and fat, especially with a P-bass. It's made me play my P more than my J, although I haven't tried the J through it(it's got MEC pickups, so it should be nice and growly).
  9. Yes, it sounds good, has a bunch of features, and is priced awesome.