My plan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyBishop, Feb 28, 2002.

1. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Heres what I'm going to do to my fender MIM jazz bass:

-Have a badass II bridge installed(maybe, still wondering if its worth it)
    -Have a Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pound P-Bass Pickup Installed
    -Havewarmoth p-bass neck installed (havent decided on a specific one yet)
    -Have vintage style tuners put on
    -Have one of those cool vintage style pickup covers put over the bridge/bridge pickup

I can't wait!

(ps. I have a co-op placement(for school) with a luthier so I can probably get a deal on the work.)

I'll tell you when its done!
  2. cone

cone Guest

Oct 13, 2001
    it sounds to me like you might as well get a mark hoppus signiture bass, its a j body w/ p-style quarter pounder seymore duncan pickups, although it has a j neck unlike the p-neck you want, but i think it would be cheaper too get the M. Hoppus and put a cool looking vintage thingy on there (dont know the name) and youve got what you want
  3. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001

I like blink 182 but I'm not in a hurry to be Mark Hoppus. And the hoppus sig has no tone controls. Bad.
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Is the J-bass neck fretless? and has Rosewood fingerboard?
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like you're going to put twice the dollars into upgrading the bass than you will on the bass itself. Is it really worth it???
  6. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I don't believe that a bridge pickup cover will fit over a Badass II bridge.
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    No it won't, I tried.

Why not leave the MIM alone & build a complete Warmoth bass? It seems like you're changing everything except the body & you could get a solid colored alder or ash body for $235/$245.
  8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Why don't you just leave your MIM Jazz the way it is and sell it? It looks like the only thing you plan on keeping is the body and the tone and volume controls. Just sell your MIM Jazz and add a Warmoth body and some electronics to your shopping list...

Or, am I missing something?

(Edit: I didn't read all of Nino's post 'til now :oops: )
  9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    IMO, all those mods are kind of pointless if you're going to keep the Poplar body.
  10. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001

Well I know what I want, I'm just not sure how to go about it....Does warmoth make a jazz style body with a pj config?
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sure, you can get that. I used to have one of those years ago, and Warmoth offers many more options now than they did then.

I agree with the above posters: for that amount of modification, you're better off starting fresh and selling your old bass. I have done the overmodification thing, and it cost me more time, trouble, and money than it would have had I just gone with all Warmoth or the equivalent.

There's also a guy who used to work for Warmoth but now has his own thing. I forget the company name and the URL, but I'm sure somebody here can help you out. My recollection is that he didn't have nearly as many options, but the service was reputed to be better. FWIW.

Good luck.