Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My playing: it's all going pear-shaped

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Well guys, it's finally happened.

That rut everyone warned me would come, has arrived.

Added to that the band' sound's c*rp, I can't get the sound I want, I'm having real difficulty adapting to this Bass Collection bass, my playing's gone down the tubes, my fingering (such as it ever was) is horrid when we practice, I can't sing and play anymore, I've become blase about the music abd the world @ large, and my 6 year-old's decided he now wants to be a drummer!!!

Not really expecting much response from this but I just wanted a bit of a moan.........

Rockin John

2. Interesting - "pear-shaped" ??

I lived in the UK until 1983 when I moved to the USA. I don't remember the term being around when I lived there. I was talking to a friend in Oxford recently, and they used the term, but not wishing to appear ignorant, I didn't ask them what it meant, or its derivation. So, if you wouldn't mind, please enlighten a somewhat ignorant ex-pat (originally from Glorious Devon...)

(thanks!)

- Wil

Oh, by the way - I think you're just having a bad day. Keep going - DON'T give up! Somedays it's ****ty, other days it's SUBLIME! Keep going! The good will more than make up for the bad!

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi RJ,
    Yeah, I Know what u mean.
    Try getting out and see a few (good) live bands.
    I'tll re kindle your enthusiasm.
    B.T.W. - where in the u.k. are u?

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    R.J., Why don't you change back to the bass you were using.

Trying to adapt to an ax that just don't work for you is like trying to adapt to shoes that are too small.

Sometimes it helps to just lay the bass down and leave it alone till your mood changes. Listen to music that you like but don't normally play. Or don't listen to music at all.

About your six year old wanting to be a drummer....
    Man that's the problem you should be working on.:) :)

J/K, Having an in house drummer may be pretty neat.

You'll shake it off in a day or two. We all go through it.

A bit of a moan for you though. Moaaaaaan :)

Pkr2

5. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think pkr2 is on to something there. Methinks you should put the bass down, until you feel like you want to play it again! I hadn't played my violin for all summer, until last week, when i just felt an urge to play it, and i've been playing for hours every day since!

And, a couple of weeks ago, me and my father went out to our cottage in the archipelago. Didn't bring a bass or anything. Let me tell you, after a couple of days without doing anything, you really want to play the bass! I almost went insane, i could feel my fingers aching to make some music, it was pretty horrible actually. But SO good when i got back home!

6. Hello guys and thanks for your time.

There are a couple of specific questions to answer, so here goes.

To Will: 'going pear-shaped'. If you imagine a sphere as representing 'everything's neat, tidy, fine and dandy, perfect, etc' then something that's pear-shaped is clearly the opposite. I think the expression came into general UK usage via the conuntless TV cop shows, especially those based in / on / around London and screened in the 90s.

To PaulA: Midlands. Can't really be more specific.

The real worry is the bass. I saved my nuts off for something really good (IMHO), it was to be a one-chance-only purchase, and now I can't get on with what I've bought. A real bummer, that. Can't get it to hang right. On the Squier P I moved the butt strap post to the pickguard: instant success with the hang. Can't do this with the Bass Colection.

It might just be a case of a bad workman blaming his tools. Dunno. It's sorta like I MUST sort this out because I've spent my savings on the thing and I won't get another and.....

I'll leave the Bass Collection for a few days. Try the Sq. again @ rehersal next week. See what happens.

About my lad and drumming. Yes. Well. He's up for it and is quite good in his own way. Gotta encourage him, eh?

Thanks. RJ

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Mmmm...pears...(salivates). :)

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nothing a Lakland 55-94 won't cure.

9. Well. The basic advice to lay off the Bass Collection for a bit seems to have worked. But I took it to rehersal last night with a view to finding out what was going wrong. Just a silly thing like turning the strap inside out - as it were - to put the rough side next to my shirt helped a great deal. Now the bass hangs much better for me. With the strap like this it holds position much better.

I fiddled with the tones on the bass and on the amp, too. With the bass tones set much closer to mid position it (perhaps naturally) sounds closer to a passive bass. I now seem to get a much cleaner sound which cuts through better without the muddiness.

Very much better all round. And the drummer now hears me better, too.

:DThanks guys.:D

RJ

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There was a time in the UK when we were swamped with Bass Collection basses and they looked very nice compared with others of similar price, but I just couldn't get on with them, probably for the same reasons you mention. I just found the body was too small and the balance was all wrong. They have just brought out a new line (The Jive) which looks very different, so maybe they are aware of the problems.

I must admit that apart from sound, the feel of a bass in your hands is the most important thing for me and can be the difference between being motivated to practice or otherwise. I mean I love the look and sound of Warwick basses, but they just don't work for me when I pick one up and play it for a while.

The only thing I can suggest apart from buying another bass is trying to shorten the strap as much as possible so it is very high up - this tends to lessen the balance problems.

Or the standard response in these cases is to get a good teacher who can diagnose your problems accurately and should be able to find ways to motivate you.