1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My playing sucks,

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassnoobfromswe, Apr 15, 2009.

1. bassnoobfromswe

bassnoobfromswe

Apr 15, 2009
    Yeah as the title says, my playing sucks. I've played for like 2 years, but I've never been ''serious''. But now I'm in a metal band, and I dont know what to practise.

I know some major scales and a few chords. My rythm isn't the best, but how should I practise it?

My goal is to play good bass lines that doesn't just follow the guitar and maybe solo.

2. Since you're playing metal, you should learn the minor, minor pentatonic, harmonic minor and melodic minor scales. Practice scale runs to build your chops, and get a metronome or something that can provide a drum beat at various tempos to work on timing.

3. bassnoobfromswe

bassnoobfromswe

Apr 15, 2009
    okay thank you =)

4. Learn to listen. Especially when you're playing.

5. larsenboy

larsenboy

Apr 7, 2009
    rio rancho nm
    wow that helped me a lot too thx guys

6. bassnoobfromswe

bassnoobfromswe

Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks =)
    I did the mistake of looking at tabs and never try to figure out the song on my own. Now I've started to pick out songs and my playing got much better :)

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you don't have a Pandora, then look into getting one. It will make practicing fun for you. Its got the metronome, along with a variety of different beats, amp models, effects, and an aux so you can practice to bands you like and figure out their stuff.

Start with finger exercises. Across the board, up and down the neck. Make sure you're fretting correctly, and consistently. Make sure you're picking or plucking correctly and consistently (time, volume, tone). Practice different patterns, everything from 1/4 notes to 16th notes. Do this with a fretted pitch, then do it walking up and down in half steps. Practice triplets. Start slow and stay slow. When that sounds solid. Pick a quicker tempo. Do it with a metronome. Practice on keeping your fretting action light and even. Don't clamp. Practice on your picking or plucking hand...also light and even. You can play quicker with a lighter touch than you can when you're really digging in.

Practice simple repeated patterns. Do them longer than you think you need to (set the timer for 10 minutes and don't stop until you've heard the bell). Then pick another simple pattern and do it again. and again.

Learn the fingering patterns for a few modes and scales. Work them all over the neck. Figure out how to hit those notes in different ways (up and down a string, across the neck, or a combination).

Anytime you start some new exercise or pattern, so it slow. Don't jump to hyper speed. You have to build muscle memory, once you've got that, start speeding it up.

8. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    +1...also, play along with some of your favorite songs. Sometimes by playing somebody elses parts you can learn new ways to get around the neck...and it helps you get better at sitting in the pocket...at least it helped me.

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Listen to everything BurningSkies says.

Period.

10. bassnoobfromswe

bassnoobfromswe

Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks for all the help =)
    The people here on TB is really helpful.