1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My PLX2 1804 has finally arrived!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by teedub, Apr 28, 2006.

1. [​IMG]

Well, I've had two gigs with it now, and next to no time alone with it. So I can't really give any insight for low level playing as of yet. But this little wonder can REALLY move some air, and it's freakin TINY! (13lbs and only 10" deep!) I'm running Amp 1 to a 4 ohm Avatar 210 Neo and Amp 2 to a 4 ohm Avatar 212 Neo, and for playing a gig in a moderate theatre, I feel I've barely scratched the surface of what this amp can truly do. Out of 21 detents, I "only" had it at around the 6th or 7th (10 o'clock-ish) for performance levels, and at some points I was even pushing the "I'm too loud" button in my head and turning down a notch. I've rarely needed to ever think that before. Nevermind the fact that I didn't even break a sweat hauling my gear around. That's a FIRST. As for aesthetics, I wasn't 100% sold on the new look from checking out the online pics, but in person it's quite stunning. Almost mean looking. And the new QSC logo is pretty cool, too. :D

A brief "first impression" summary: Clean, powerful, and lightweight.

I'll actually have some time alone with it this weekend, so I'll post more thoughts shortly. If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to post them and I'll do my best to get you an answer. :)

2. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I'm picking one up as soon as they hit our shores! I have exactly the same cabs (Avatar 2x10 and 2x12 both 4ohm) with a Alembic F-1X pre front end. Can't wait to put he ship anchor Mackie 1400 out to pasture!!!

3. I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that could possibly be disappointed with this amp. That F-1X will absolutely SMOKE with this amp.

4. you have a private message...

5. As do you. :D

6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    cool.. heres a tip for ya.. as the 1804 does not have subsonic filters (30Hz HP) it can pump unrequired (headroom robbing) low Hz. into your cabs.. I did some net digging and found these "FMODS". They are passive inline filters that can be used to filter out sub freq's like a low cut on amps..

I'm going to get a 30Hz HP one and run it between the preamp and the poweramp..

http://www.hlabs.com/technical/crossovers/

they are RCA to RCA so some connectors must be made up or purchased but it will keep those useless, headroom robbing speaker pulverising sub freqs out of the poweramp and therefore out of your cabs!

7. Those are pretty cool!

Please forgive my ingorance, but would I have to worry about such frequencies only using a 4-string? How would I produce a frequency under 30Hz? That's one of the reasons I went with the "04" over the "02", I didn't think I'd really need the filters.

I'm off to bed now........to be continued........:D

8. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I think they look fantastic by the way. I much prefer the new look to the old one. I'm sure they are even better in person. In fact, they look a little bit like a silver faced PL2...

9. Indeed, in person they are something else! Very attractive!

On a performace note, I had the chance to play this at a lower level, and the fan was rather quiet. Not inaudible by any means, but definitely out of the way. Quieter than the SVT-4's fan that's for sure!

What I noticed, though, was that the "full volume" tone wasn't very different when playing at lower levels. I've noticed in the past that playing at lower levels normally yields a different tone, namely with tube amps. I actually had a preset for lower levels, and one for higher levels prior to this rig. I realized with this rig that the tone was consistent from low level to gig level, and I contribute it to the solid pre and power amp.

If you're planning on going the pre/power route, and like SS power, I HIGHLY recommend the PLX2 series. There's NO WAY you could be disappointed with this amp.

10. After some research, I see that you can emit those subsonic freq's when you touch/bump the strings. Makes sense, and I think I've run into that situation before. But if you get a line of these connectors, how would you support them? I mean, the weight of the cable would put a lot of strain on a little RCA jack. I see they make a cable version, but it's a 37Hz HP. Either way, I'd be interested in getting the 30Hz HP for my rig, for sure. Could you run these filters through the effects loop of the pre? I guess I'm sort of answering my own questions/thinking out loud.

And is "low cut" the same as "high pass"? I assume so.:ninja:

11. I ran the 1804 under a "stress test" today, cranking it as loud as I felt comfortable with. It appears that my old bandmates have REALLY altered their format to more of a "grooveless-gui****-shred-a-thon", but that's a whole other topic.

The 1804 blew their faces off. I could hear myself loud and clear, and these guys rehearse at inhuman levels. I was up against a 26" (yes, that's a 26") bass drum, and two 4x12's pumping out more low-end than they knew what to do with. After some light EQ'ing, I could hear myself just fine, thank you. It was really pushing the limits of the amp, though. I'd probably have to adjust the gain/master levels of the preamp a little bit to be able to turn the power amp gain any higher than I had it. The fans were working serious overtime, blasting hot air most of the time, but it never cut out or clipped. The power amp gain was set at 12:00 (about -10dB according to the dial, which was quite accurate, considering the -10dB was flashing or lit for the duration). Even when I blasted it with some super-low fuzz, it took it and begged for more.

In summary, this little amp can REALLY work wonders. That's probably about as loud as I'd EVER need to run it, and it took it like a champ. It was working HARD, but it didn't flinch.

(Seriously, those guys are WAY too loud. They're going to have a hard time finding a player that can keep up with their rigs, but that's not MY issue.) :D

12. m2o03

m2o03

Feb 27, 2006
    Iowa
    glad you're enjoying your 1804, bro! I'm using a PLX 3102 and i'm loving it as well...great little amps, huh? :bassist:

13. I can't say enough good things about this little workhorse. I'll be hanging on to this rig for a while.:hyper:

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The gain control markings indicate gain relative to maximum, and the LEDs indicate output level relative to the threshold of clipping. The gain control doesn't limit what the amp can put out. What you described is just a coincidence; if you turned up the output from the preamp enough, you could've brought the output up to clipping, and if you reduced the preamp output level enough, you could extinguish the -10 dB LED.

15. Gotcha! But does that denote any sort of "ideal" balance between the preamp output and the power amp?

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Not necessarily. If you wanted to squeeze every last dB of signal-to-noise ratio out of your rig, then you'd boost your signal as much as possible without clipping as early in the signal chain as possible, and then use only enough gain at late stages (such as the power amp) as necessary. But most gear is good enough that you don't have to be quite that stringent.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    oh lawdy!

sounds sweet. anyone wanna do a stewart world 1.2 / peavey dpc1400x / qsc plx2 shootout?

no one?

hmm... guess i need to take things into my own hands. :p

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    FYI,

QSC sells their own "slot filters"... ;) which i think is a crazy cool idea.

http://www.qscstore.com/lim.html

19. I see. I'm not keen on pinning ANY levels to the extreme (I like having the option to increase if ever needed), so I guess what I've got going is superb, my ears tell me so. :D Thanks for the insight and input. :)

Oh goodness yes! I have access to the Stewart, but not the Peavey. Let us know how that goes!

WOW! That IS wicked! Thanks for the link!

20. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I thought I heard you guys! Not really clear, but I heard it while I was out walking the dogs. Man, that bass carries! ;) :D