Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my plywood P.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robb., Jun 6, 2003.

1. my first bass was a lyon by washburn. it's a total POS, except that it has such a resonant body. i put bartolini pickups in it and i get this incredible, resonant, growling sound from it.

i was mucking around with its setup today and tried taking the neck off. i couldn't believe what i saw. it's plywood inside! i love the sounds i get from it, and i was hoping it was something like basswood, so i could replicate its sound in a nicer bass. no dice. there's nothing nice about this bass, except its sound.

check it out:

[​IMG]

robb.

2. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    well then, imagine that.

well, you can always get a bass with an insane multitude of laminations of some combo of woods.... maybe the different woods can be found out.

My guitar is plywood....but I'm no expert in guitar sound, so I wouldn't know if it's good or not.

3. SHB

SHB

Mar 25, 2003
    Maryland USA
    In the 70's, I had an Ampeg "Little Stud" bass made of plywood like that. Even the neck was the same stuff. They put a transparent red finish on it!

Still, it sounded ok. It makes me doubt all the debate that goes on about the best wood for a body or a neck.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    With ALL due respect (and I honestly mean no ill will with this question), isn't putting Barts on a Washburn POS2000 akin to putting new rims on a totaled car?

5. my first bass was an encore P-bass, and, like yours, the body was made of plywood. the only difference is, mine sounded like sh!te.

Tom

6. You can't polish a turd.

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    My tele (guitar) is plywood. It's one of the 1st squires, when they still had the fender decal. It sounds great!

8. i suppose so, but i was young and didn't know any better. i didn't have money for a new bass, and i wanted to improve the sound, so i went to the local store and asked what pickups i could put in to make it sound better. i just put in what he suggested.

honestly, i'm glad he did suggest the ludicrous. i love the sound i get. it's so P, and yet so not fender. all i have to do is boost the 400Hz, though, and it's all fender. i've thought about getting a more comfortable neck for this bass, but now that i know better, i've figured i can't polish a turd. perhaps this one would look nice polished, though.

robb.

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You can just call the plywood "multiple laminations." If it sounds good, it sounds good!

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i've tried for years to get a technique down that would allow me to do this.

for the longest time, i wound up looking like a UPS driver.

if you lacquer it first, it can take quite a shine!

f

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

THanx F I just shot soda pop all over my screen!!

12. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I myself am digging the painted pickguard!!! I have an old Hondo P made with a plywood body and it sounds surprisingly good!

-robert

13. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    my friend gave me an HAMER SLAMMER free of charge for doing him a favor,it needed alot of work so i was suprised to see it have a nice flame neck so i expected a decent body wood but when i removed the neck IT WAS PLYWOOD !:mad: i could'nt believe it,it was a nice heavy bass that had good resonence and tone,BUT IT WAS PLYWOOD !:mad: .now had i paid for it i would be:mad: ,but i did'nt so i was'nt to:bawl: .since finding this out i see them being sold on E-BAY without that critical piece of info.i goes to show you you cant judge a bass by its cover,if i did'nt take it apart i would of NEVER know:confused: . if it sounds good and holds up dont sweat it.

14. i might have to do a quick recording to show how good it sounds. seriously -- it sounds damn cool. i might have to buy a new neck for it and set it up properly. then i'd have what i want. PM me if you have a P or J neck (maple fretboards only!) you need to unload.

robb.

15. Does it need a 24 fret neck?

16. it's a 20 fret neck, so that would probably require modification, right? unless the extra frets cantilever past the neck pocket, it's no good. i'll measure from the neck pocket to the nut to make sure. the scale is 34" to the best of my knowledge (which ain't great).

robb.

17. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    :rolleyes: Isn't SOUND what matters?

18. that's what i'm saying. i love the sound so much, i wish i had it in a much more reliable and playable package. it just makes me laugh.

robb.

19. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I just got a used Epiphone Accu Bass as a backup / project bass. I too was suprised after playing it that it was a plywood/ multi laminated body.

Suprisingly good tone from a what I expected to be a POS. So I bought it. I'm wondering if it's just the simplicity of the original P-bass layout: 1 pickup, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob. Nothing fancy, good tone.

I have to agree with SHB about questioning the debate of tone woods and multi-laminates. Though nicely finished multi laminate bodys look awesome compared to any plywood bass.

20. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    :D :D
    repeating myself:
    It is all about mass and stiffness distribution.

A good neck, good strings and good pickups will always sound good. Add suitable mass/stiffness body, and it will sound great. Whether you use aluminium, alder, cocobolo, grey iron, polyacrylat or whatever.

Congratulations to a good sounding pieceO.S.:bassist: :cool: