my poor grandma

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 3 crotch grabs, Jun 21, 2004.

1. so my grandparents are getting up their in age, and they wanted to make one last big road trip before anything major keeps them close to home and their doctors. they were going to roll out to visit various family members across the country, and then up into canada to visit my grandma's fathers grave. well, there's no chance of that now. the government would not give my grandma a passport. apparently, after living in the USA for over sixty years her citizenship is "questionable"

yup, i've got granny terrorist. she was born in canada to a french mother and her father didn't have ANY citizenship because he was a member of the french foreign legion and had all sorts of interesting adventures that led to some crazy political problems back in the day. the kinda thing where the governent denies any knowledge of you if you get caught.

i'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for the cute little old lady to get back and forth across the border, but she doesn't want to deal with the hassle. so she doesn't get to visit her childhood home, or her father's final resting place. sad.

i'm all for having secure borders, and all that jazz.... but isn't this just a little bid odd? a 78 year old woman is a pretty low risk if you ask me.

i hope this isn't too political. i just wanted to rant a little bit.
  2. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    You'd be surprised at how many old ladies are packing these days. You can never be too careful.

Seriously though, that sucks. Poor granny :( I would try to see if there's anything you can do for her, maybe call and see if there's a way for her to visit Canada temporarily without any hassle or something. She should get to visit there one last time or that's just sad man. :meh:
  3. sry Granny, but you need to live here 70 years to be able to travel.

Reminds me of a scene from Family Guy
    Kid: Is 13 tickets enough?
    Evil Guy: Sorry, Kid, bu you need 15 tickets to live
    (opens trap door and throws kid in)
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    +i^4 on the granny packin heat.

Its still rediculous. 60 years of life in the US and they're giving her this BS? Its disgusting really.
  5. about ten years ago, grandma and grandpa went down to mexico. when they came back through the border they were asked if they were both born in the US. grandma started to say yes, just to avoid the hassle but grandpa, being a smart ass, said no. you have to understand, my grandma is very, very dark. they held her up there for about half an hour. gramps thought it was hilarious, until grandma wouldn't cook for him for a month.

who knew that would have been the last time she was allowed to cross a border?
  6. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I have your solution!

Buy a moose suit and sneak her across. They're Canadian, they'll never know the difference!

7. heck, i thought they wouldn't care anyways
  8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, couldn't Granny get her "questionable" citizenship fixed? Is she not legally married to a US citizen? Doesn't marriage to a US citizen qualify one for citizenship? Does she have Canadian citizenship? How many sentences in a row can I end with a question mark?
  9. you would think it would be a pretty straight forward fix, but for some reason it's just been too much of a hassle. heh.... i just pictured my grandma doing this little laugh & dance she does when confronted with rediculous amounts of beauracracy. she's a funny little lady. anyway, they just didn't want to delay the trip too much.
  10. Grammatically, none. Only Questions can end with a question mark. What that has to do with grammer and not punctuation, I am not sure :p

And VBass...

I have tried a giant godzilla suit to get into Mexico, didn't work very well. I had tequila bottles thrown at me :bag:
    (I mean no offense to Mexicans or Canadians in this or any other post I make, unless otherwise stated)
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sentences can be questions. In fact every framatically correct question is a sentence. :p
  12. Voltron, my mentor, you have taught me another valuble lesson...
  13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    :eyebrow: :meh: :confused:

Good, glad to hear that nothing has changed sense I went to school back in the stone age. Back then, a sentence ending in a question mark was called an interrogative sentence. An interrogative sentence is in fact a sentence, as is illustrated by the fact that it contains the word sentence in the name. ;)

14. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Talk to the Cdn. side of the boarder. If he mom was born in Canada and had citizenship, she would automatically get it. She probably didn't have before because there was a law way back when that said that mothers couldn't pass on their citizenship...that's changed so she should get it.
  15. dude, everybodyt knows one has to dress up as a cochroach to get into mexico.

The godzilla only works for Japan. They may all be afraid of you, but was the real Godzilla questioned or asked to show citizenship when he came to Japan? I think not.

(same here about not wanting to offend anybody)
  16. I thought the people in Godzilla movies spoke wierd spanish! ;)
  17. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    That depends where you saw the Godzilla movie.
  18. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Actually, it's a well known fact that Godzilla immigrated from Mexico to Japan in 1914, thusly giving up his mexican culture and spanish heritage. The people in the movie were merely mocking Godzilla by speaking incoherent spanish and they FELT HIS WRATH. WRAAAAHHH!
  19. sounds like godzilla is gonna have the same problems getting a passport as my grandma.