Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My (possibly) new (old) car.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Aug 21, 2002.

1. My GAS is never complete I guess. :D

I made a deal with my wife, that if I get an older car and keep my truck, instead of buying a new Jeep Cherokee next year, that I would buy her a new Camry when she graduates next summer.

So, less than 12 hours after that deal was made, my wife's friend tells her he is selling his 1976 Pontiac Firebird Esprit. I was jealous when he got it, because I've always wanted an old Firebird. Anyway, she was able to talk him down to $550. It needs some work, but mostly its cosmetic.

Here is a pic, but it's not the exact one I'm getting. It's the same year, but the one I'm getting is candy apple red.

[​IMG]

here is another pic, this one a '75.

[​IMG]

2. not too shabby. igot a 68 firebird its my baby i love firebirds.

3. I was wanting to get either an older 'Vette, Firebird, or Pontiac GTO.

I guess it was just dumb luck that this one just happened to be for sale when I had the money to get it.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Congrats on your 'new' set of wheels!!! Not my cup of tea - I like newer stuff (cars, bikes, basses).

But at least you got something you've wanted for a while - enjoy!

5. If you've read the GAS review, I've gotten enough basses for awhile :D. I've already got a fairly new car, a 99 Corolla, and wanted a nice little zoomer to dink around with. I'm also looking at getting a Harley in the next few years.:D

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, now you need to get the ole' mullet happening. :D

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Harley's are way to expensive over here, and also don't like our weather too much!!!! I'm currently riding a little MIJ sporty number!

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    As long as the frame isnt rotten in back by the leaf springs(very common on 2nd generation F-body cars) then $550 is a great deal. Now, down to the important questions: What size engine?
    auto or stick?

Post some pics when you get the car.

9. Well, I bought my car yesterday, and took some pics today. I'll post them as soon as I get them.

The engine is a 350 V8, 2 barrel carb, but I'll be swapping out the 4 barrel Holley from my truck soon. :D

I'll have to check the rear end, because I get a slight shake when I turn right at low speeds. The guy I bought it from re-did most of the back end with new brakes, shocks, etc. He thinks it may be the rocker arms, because those are the only things he didn't work. It's an auto transmission, I would have prefered a stick, but auto is ok. I took it out on a back road, dropped it into low gear and shifted up as I got faster, and it cooks! The speedometer is off, So I couldn't tell how fast I got it up to, though. The seats and most of the interior is in good condition, and the exterior has some rust spots, but it's mostly surface rust. I'll be able to fix it up really nice, get it re-painted, and maybe take it up to Sears Point Raceway on Amatuer night and test it out.

Oh and JT, that Mullet will NOT be happening. :D

PS: If I take out the air conditioning compressor, and some of the other unneccesary accesories, I can fit a 454 in there. :eek: :D

10. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The rocker arms are in the engine, not the rearend. Is it a posi rearend? If so, they require a specific gear lube to work with the posi clutch packs. Using the wrong fluid could result in rearend chatter around corners.

A 454 will drop right in, no problem. I'll try to take some pictures of mine and post them.

11. Sweet! :) $550. for any running auto is great.. Do those have to be smogged where you live?

Bithchin Camaro!!!! oh um sorry,,, I ment Freebird.. damnit I ment to type Firebird. darn fingers..

12. Ok, he may have meant something other than the Rocker Arms. I'll look into it. Yes, it is a posi rear end. Where can I get the lube job done? About how much would it cost? I've got $900 to throw around between this and my 69 Dodge D-100.
    Thats exactly what the problem is. Every time I turn right, mostly noticeable at lower speeds, and sometimes when I turn left, the rear end feels like it rattles a little bit.

Fetch, it does need to be smogged in California. But I'm active military, and even though I live in Ca, I'm not a resident, so I can register my vehicles in my home of record. In any case, you're right, $550 for a running vehcle with only minor problems is a fantastic deal. The guy I bought it from payed less than $100 for it, but got a new rear windshield, re did all the brakes, fixed the vacuum modulator, etc. etc. Overall, he said he put almost $900 into the car before he sold it to me. i think I got a pretty nice deal. And considering he is a friend, if I need some help working on it, he knows the car pretty well already.

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

It could be a rear axle problem. In my buddies old Mopar he had a shorter axle that caused that same problem.

14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Hey I think I know what it is!!

1) check the muffler bearings, thay may need to be greased.

2) or possible leaking blinker fluid getting on the shocks clutch.

:) ;)

15. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Most auto part stores sell a gear lube for use in a posi (also called "limited slip") rearend, or they may have an additive to use with regular gear oil. Wouldnt cost much to do it either way. A few quarts of lube, additive if needed, and a new gasket for the rearend cover would probably be $20 to $30. Or most Jiffy Lube type places could do it for you in the $40 range.