1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Power Predicament

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by simpy1, Apr 17, 2006.

1. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I need some advice.

My 350 W Trace Elliot head is not enough to drive my Golaith Jr. III and my EA-NL210 at gigging volumes.

So really I need to upgrade, but the problem there is that I LOVE MY TRACE. It gets the sound I want.

So my choices are:

1) Get a cheap used power amp and use my Trace head as a (f@&$^#g heavy) preamp;

2) Get a new bass amp (probably a Carvin B1500) and ditch my beloved Trace;

or 3) Something else? Can I get some more power somehow?

Thanks guys!

2. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    If you want to stay with the Trace sound, I suggest you try a Trace preamp with a quality power amp. I've played a Trace GP12SMX preamp through a number of diffrent power amps by QSC, Stewart, Chevin Research, Trace Elliot and Lab Gruppen. It sounded good with all of them. The Trace power amp had the fattest bottom end and had the most "Trace like" sound, but it weighs over 60 lbs. The Lab Gruppen sounded the best to me overall, with the Chevin a close second.

3. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Bump! Any more ideas?

4. You can easily get more stage volume if you stack the 2x10 cabs vertically on top of each other. This may work better for the audience too. Maybe there's a chance your two cabs are phasing eachother out. Try to stick with one or the other model of cab.

That combo should be plenty loud. Keep your head if you can and work with the cabs.

5. Use more speakers or bass horns.

The suggestion above for taking a LINE output from your Trace into a good power amp is a very workable solution. It's a bigger rack, though.

6. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    More speakers isn't an option for me- I know it's the easiest way, but I have to fit my gear in my hatch along with our percussionist's stuff. Plis I have many many steps to go up, and narrow paths etc. Wellington is full of hills. It's all hills. That's why I have 2 2x10's - the sound I like, in a small but potentially loud package. I just didn't count on my amp not being able to pull the load.

Isn't it ironic how you need more power for a smaller rig....whereas if I had an 8x10" I'd be cranking. :meh: