My practice amp sounds better than my Eden Metro!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Heh, I have been sitting on this for months so as not to get shot up...hahah. The deal is I use an Eden Metro combo as my main stage amp -- very nice "hi fi" sound, killer lows, etc. But what has stuck me is that I did a gig in a somewhat smaller room, complementing a guitarist and a keyboardist using my Fender BXR-15 and it I couldn't help but notice I liked the Fender tone better than what my Eden kicks out. Now the little amp has virtually no bottom end but harmonically the low E was there and there very nicely. So, it's put me on a path of maybe I don't need to lug around a 400 watt combo cab and maybe I should check out a Bassman 100 (or 200) instead, get the warm tone I am looking for, save some $$, and some weight as well. Also 400 watts in the room I typically play in is a little overkill, even against the drummer (who I can walk all over w/o messing with eq's, heh). I dunno, what do you think?
  2. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    What you have noticed, IMO, is the snarly tone of the 210XLT cab. Many people live and die by that sound, which REALLY works and cuts through in a loud gig situation, but can become annoying in a lower volume or more mellow playing situation. Once my ear became annoyed by the 210XLT cabs character, I traded it for a Bergie 210, which annoys me because its sounds scooped and thin in the mids.

I loved my Eden 210T and articulate. The new 210XST is kind of like its brother on steroids...richer bass and no snarl. However, a really cool sound was a 210XST and a 210XLT together...had the aggression and the smoothness mixed together. If you ever need an extension cab for your Metro, the XST would be the ticket IMO.

Don't get rid of the Metro. You have the Fender, use it for the mellow stuff and the Metro for the louder stuff. Trust me, if you use the Fender exclusively, you will become annoyed with its shortcomings too...then switch back to the Eden for a have two options for amps, use them to your advantage. Its ok to not like your amp for a while. That's why I have a tube hybrid and a solid state...options my friend.
  3. Yes, I would hate to dump the Metro, it's from the Eden "pre-sale" days. The tube front end does add some warmth, but not the phat sound I get out of the little Fender. With the Eden, the thing I do like is of course the killer, shake-the-stage bottom end! I get a smile for the lead guitarist from time to time and that's worth it all!
  4. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Sounds to me like you need to explore the incredibly powerful EQ section on the Metro. Just my opinion.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you also need to bear in mind that there is a big difference between what you hear standing right in front of an amp and what the audience hears out front!!

I went to a gig by a funk band at a fairly small but noisy club - great band, only thing that let them down was - no bass at all could be heard out front, which spoiled the "danceability factor" for the audience! :(

So , I was watching the bass player and he had an Alembic and was clearly grooving away, digging the sound he was getting out of his small amp (that was a few inches away from him) and I could hear the occasional trebly "pop" - but no bottom end was coming through at all!

Really spoiled the gig!
  6. yeah, been there done that one! We are our own "sound man" so during warm-up I run out front with a 25' cord to see where the sound is (or isn't). Of course this does not take into consideration the damping effect of the people!
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I've done many, many coffee house/acoustic/low volume jazz/blues dates with a Fender Showman and a 1x15 JBL. That rig to me is the bare minimum for gigging. Volume wise anyway. Tonal bliss for old shool types. Put a mic on it it you need more V

The problem with that rig is
    1. probably as much weight as your Eden.
    2. That setup will bury a Bassman 100 or the BXR but won't get close to the output of the Eden. It also costs about the same as the Eden figuring $550 for a used showman recapping and tubes plus 300 for a used JBL 15 cab in decent shape.

I think what you are hearing in the Eden is
    1. Harsh mids and bass extension. I listened to the 410 version of that cab and hated it. Heresy to some I know but there was no native 'sweetness' that I could find.
    2. lack of EQ ... There are about a gazillion ways to approach it, but I think dialing in a little 60 through 80-100-120 cabinet depending and dialing out a little 500 through 1000 with a narrow dip in the upper mids (fret clack range) and then adding back at the 5 to 10k range gives a great, punchyy, old school kind of tone. All those settings are very dependant on the other parts of your rig. The XLT I think already has a bit of the 60 through 120 range emphasized so in your case you might have to back off there a bit.

I think overall you'd be really disappointed with the low power combo's you mention as a full time rig. The amp section of the Eden is fine. You might be happier getting an Eden head and a couple of cab's that match it in a more pleasing fashion. Probably a 1x15 and 2x10 combination. Take either or both, gig depending. Lots of folks here are doing that it seems. In my case, I don't have or need the 2x10's, I just take more 1x15's ...

As a side note, I have one of the 2x12 Music Man cab's with the 6" mid/tweet. I have owned the cab for about a year, bought it out of the GFS from Brendan. I probably spent 9 months of screwing around with various EQ settings before getting that cab to sounding the way I wanted to. That sucker has been on and off the sale block a lot. Seems like a cab with the reputation that one has should have been easier to dial in ... I'm sure you feel the same about your Metro.

In case anyone missed it - I'm strictly after a very 'traditional' Fender 4 string bass kind of sound. If you are into metal/punk/emo-core rap/tribal or have a guitarist with a solid body 7 string - you can throw the above out the window ...
  8. All good replies! Yeah, I'll try both amps side by side and mess with the eq's, a little less boom, and a little more sweet, phat tone would be cool :)