1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnfitz123, Dec 6, 2011.

1. johnfitz123

johnfitz123

Feb 28, 2011
    I have a 20watt practice amp apart from a instrument input and a headphones output it has five dials graduated 0 to 10 they are Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass and Presence.

How do I use these or can someone lead me to a tutorial/ articel on how to use these controls.

Or is it just an exercise of just adjusting until the thing works for me.

JF

2. If you don't have an owners manual, Google the amp make and model and you will be able to get one easily (or go directly to the manufacturer's website). You can also Google each control function to get an explanation.

Without a manual and not knowing the make and model of your amp, generally speaking, your last option is the best one. You should start with the pots in a neutral position. Depending on the type of pots you have, this may be at zero or at the 12 o'clock position. If your knobs are marked 0-10, it's probably the former. Play a little, adjust one of the pots, play some more. Keep adjusting one pot at a time and listen to the difference. Turning the a knob CW increases that sound characteristic and CCW decreases it.

Bass, Middle, and Treble controls are self explanatory. The Presence knob will boost or decrease the upper mid-range frequencies.

One caution: A 20W practice amp with only an 8" or 10" speaker may not give you a full dynamic representation of the sound variations that a more powerful amp/larger speaker combination will.

3. Quick general EQ tip: turn up the mids and play with the presence (not sure, but it may control the mid-freq point). The mids is the frequency that makes bass sounds audible.
    Backing off the bass may also clear up the tone.

It would help tremendously if you post what model is your amp.

4. johnfitz123

johnfitz123

Feb 28, 2011
    The amp is a CD200B made in China, but isn't everything these days.

JF

5. Being a small 20W combo amp, don't expect it to pull off miracles ;)

Is yours an older Roland Cube amp?