Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my price range

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tuldie, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Tuldie

Tuldie

Apr 18, 2000
    looking for an amp that is somewhere around 100W at the least. my price range just bumped up to a minimum of about $350 up to about $500. what's the best amp to get?

2. CRazY baSsISt

CRazY baSsISt

Aug 30, 2000
    I just got a Crate BX100 and it's nice.It is 100watts and was $400 at my local shop.It has 8 band eq too.I would check this amp out.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Tuldie, check into an Ampeg B100 or BA115.

Also check out the SWR Workingmans 12 and the Peavey TNT115. These are all loud amps that are well under $500. Even less if you buy used.

Click on this link -> http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=9290 <- for a thread discussing the B100.

4. the iceman

the iceman

Nov 27, 2000
    I'd say combos are nice because of their simplicity, but a head and cabinet arrangement offers a lot more flexibility. If you decide you don't like your cabinet (or head) in a month or two, you can just trade it or sell it and get a new one without having to start from scratch again on your rig.

Also, getting a head/cab arrangement allows you to expand your system more easily because you can add additional cabinets to it if you want. Not ALL combos will allow you to use an extension speaker (the SWR's will, but the Ampeg combos won't I don't think). If you do decide you want a combo, then make sure it has an extension speaker jack so you have the option to add another cabinet later.

I think you could get a pretty decent setup that falls into your price range. I would recommend getting either the speaker cabinet or the head used to save money though.
    Look at Hartke and the SWR Workingman's series for bass heads---the Hartke 2000, 3000, and 3500 can all be had for less than $400 brand new. If you don't think you want that much power, Gallien-Krueger makes 100w and 200w bass heads that aren't that much $$. I've seen the the 400RB (200 watts) go for a little more than $200 used.

Carvin makes some very inexpensive cabinets that can handle a lot of power, but aren't very efficient so you need a lot of power to run through them. Also, the SWR Workingman's cabinets are pretty efficient, sound good, and aren't too expensive. Again, I would get either the speakers or the head (or even both) used to save a lot more money. Just inspect anything very closely and test it out before you buy it.

5. A nice 100W amp is Fender Bassman 100. It has helpful features on it with a nice sound.