1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Private School surprise.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    So I had my Daughter in private school for several years. Had to take her out do to finances. So this year my Daughter, now in the public school system is struggling with math. Well I find out that she is actually behind in it! After further investigation, we find out that the way she learned math in private school is different than in public schools, and private schools DO NOT have to meet the same standards as the public school system! I find that quite disturbing considering that amount you pay for private schooling.

I also understand that private schools set there own standards to some degree in this area! or may not have to meet any standard at all!

So we are back tracking now to get our girl caught up, which I am really kind of angry about!

1: How is it that the Educational system private and public can and do have separate standards for math?

2: How is it that there is not a body to hold both accountable to a common standard? Numbers are absolute so this should not be rocket science to accomplish.:rollno:

I talked to the Teacher at the public school who does teach Math and she told me my situation (Students coming from private schools to pubic school struggling in math) is NOT UNCOMMON.:confused:

Something about this seems really wrong.:meh:

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Weird.. I went from a private school to a public school, and though Ive never been in the "elite group" (taking pre-cal as sophomores) Ive maintained all As over my 4 years of high school.

Get a tutor for her. They work wonders.

3. I went from private to public school in grade 8, I didn't learn anything new in math until grade 11. Although I was behind in history and French.

lowsound

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    The "beauty" of private schools is that they don't have to be held accountable to the same standards as public schools. That includes everything from curriculum to the qualifications of teachers.

5. Same thing happened to me. I was taking a grade above at private school and was immediately thrown into high school math in public and it's been really hard to catch up.

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    :)

7. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    The reason that govt does not have such a body to establish a common standard is because they choose not to.

They probably justify it on the grounds that it would be restricting free markets or something - personally I feel establishing an educational system that awards meaningful and valuable qualifications is part of a country's infrastucture. This way individuals have qualifications that would be recognised by, and be relevant to, employers.

8. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I understand how you feel, are you getting the help you need?

9. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Yup, we have and it working great! just a shame we had to do this in the first place. I wonder how much truth is to the following statement....

"Well sure children who go to our PRIVATE school come out better than those in PUBLIC schools. EXCEPT in Math....ok, you can now pay your tuition at the front desk. Thanks for comming"

I may be stretching this a bit. I am not trying to paint with a broad brush, but now I really am curious just how wide spread this is. Certainly some people have no issues from the few posts I have seen so far.

I forgot to mention in my post, my daughter was on the honor role at her PRIVATE school in and top of her class in math, although she had to work her butt off. Which I thought was good.

10. From what I've heard, you do not need state certification to teach at a private school. This does not necessarily mean that it is the fault of the teacher - just something to consider.

The teacher may have been teaching to the classroom, instead of a set curricula. Your daughter's classmates may not have been so bright in math, not the fault of the teacher. The public school likely has a set curricula for each level, and students are regularly tested against an external standard for performance.

All of that said, math is highly dependent on the previous classes. For example, a student struggling in Algebra II might not have had a great teacher / or understood Algebra I. That student would then be behind. It is hard to tell.

+1 on getting a tutor. Keep practicing at it - once she understands the rules, math isn't all that hard. Best of luck to ya!

ian

11. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    Since the U.S. has a federal system and education is very decentralized, it should come as no surprise that the quality of education can vary greatly from one area to another or even from one school to another in the same area.

12. I switched from private to public, and have always been ahead in math. I got 100's my first two years of math in Public school because I already knew the material, but that entire time, I was doing poorly in history.

Private schools aren't regulated by the government because many of them endorse a religious background (see: First amendment), even those that do not subscribe to a religion still operate in the same manner, and are not subject to some of the laws regarding public education.

As for your situation, tutor is the way to go.

13. tommyr01

tommyr01 SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    Fire-Starter,

I have my daughter in a private school, she is in 1st grade. I'm curious what grades has your daughter been in the private school? I'm kinda shocked to hear this and a little concerned.....

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    you enrolled her, paid tons of money, and didn't even take due diligence to ask about their curriculum? hmm.

Sure there is something really wrong. only it's on both sides. Either way, I wish you the best in getting your child caught up and on track for her studies.

15. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    She is in the 5th grade this year at public school. K-4 she was in private.

16. this, and they can charge whatever tuition they please...

17. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    It's a self-defense mechanism. If you are not that great at math, you might have a hard time figuring out that you are actually paying twice for your education. Once in taxes for the public school you are not attending and once for tuition at the private school (unless your state has vouchers).

BTW I have nothing against private schools, I went to one for my freshman year of HS (left for reasons other than education or finances). I learned more in my single year there than I did in the next three years at public school.

18. Mhmm...;)

I got asked to leave because I was smarter than the IT staff. all 2 of them. I figured out the hole in the magical computer shield.

19. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Where did you see in my post that I did not do due diligence? I am curious how you made that conclusion.:eyebrow:

20. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I was not stating fact, I was asking a question. I apologise for the "hmm". That was wrong of me. I was also not passing judgement, in case you were wondering. What did you ask about that they didn't deliver on / meet expectations-wise? Seems like a case for a $$ refund.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021