Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my PRO recording...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by feckn_eejit, Apr 19, 2002.

1. My guitarist friend and I were bored tonight, so we decided to do a retarded funk/folk cover of Rush's "Something for Nothing"... they're probably spinning in their graves, even though they're not dead yet (yes, it is that bad).

Anyway, interestingly enough that's me on the guitars (did the same thing with two different acoustic guitars, panned it out to each channel). Excuse my ABYSMAL guitar skills, I'm a bassist dammit! (although I intentionally mixed the bass, which is me as well, low since it sounded like crap with any more bass for whatever reason.) I also do the main vocal and you'll enjoy my fine Geddy-scream imitation.

There's 12 tracks in all... including three tracks of shakers, one being a bottle of Advil I had sitting on my desk, the other two being this baby shaker my mother gave me for Christams, for god-knows-what-reason, but we could analyze that for hours... I think she was trying to say I'm immature, which is beautifully laid out thanks to the last couple of seconds of this track. You'll have to excuse that, it's an inside joke thing...

Anyway, here's what two people who share a combination of maybe three brain cells can do in an hour with a few instruments and CoolEdit.

All the background conversation was intended pretty much, we were talking while recording the snaps and shakers.

As for the "dum-de-dum ba bum de dum" track that's panned out to the right, I couldn't get my friend to stop doing it directly into the mic so it clipped a bunch and is boomy as heck, I compressed it, it didn't help. There it is...

Best experienced on headphones, but not required.

Enjoy this fine piece of art.

--jeff

2. After a good sleep, I apologize for posting this.

Hah.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Umm...no workie?

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Oh man. You're completely right, it IS pitiful. :oops:

5. Glad you agree!

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ahhh...dont record anymore.

7. We're thinking of doing a techno cover of Yes's "Owner of a Lonely Heart" next, in total mockery, of course.