Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my problem with moving E->A or A->D

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rusmannx, Nov 7, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    lets say i hit the E-string with my thumb, do a hammer, then move to the A string with the thumb (and maybe a hammer or two), then move to the D string..... i'm left with this vibrating E string. And a vibrating A when i move to D. when i fret, i put the tip of my thumb on the back of the neck, (hand shaped like a claw) not with my fist wrapped around the neck (as though i was squeezing the guts out of a burrito).

please listen to my clip and help me find the best way to mute that ringing E string.

you'll have to turn up the volume because i didn't record it very loudly (wife is asleep).

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    what I usually see people do and what I try to do when I slap is to mute the strings with my right palm whilst slapping somewhat close to the neck with a closed hand. It's tricky to explain over the internet, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to expalin it better.