1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my problem with my new mixer.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by metallicarock, Aug 30, 2008.

1. metallicarock

metallicarock

Sep 9, 2007
    ok, so i bought a mixer off ebay and its a behringer eurorack ub802, and im having a few problems setting it up.

it works if i plug my bass into its line in and then its "main out" into my pc's line in, but because its my first mixer im not sure that this was right.

i have a feeling that your meant to put your bass into it via your amp, but when i tried this the computer does not pick up any sound when i play my bass :meh:. im using cubase sx3 and a marshall mb15 amp. also ive checked everythings working on their own

PLEASE HELP!

2. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Well, you're going to need a preamp at some point between your bass guitar and the computer hard drive.

Is there a DI out from the Marshall?

3. metallicarock

metallicarock

Sep 9, 2007
    uuuhhh.... im kinda new to the whole thing

whats a DI?

4. metallicarock

metallicarock

Sep 9, 2007
    ok a friend told me that you just need to plug your bass into the mixer, and then use beafier speakers (cos mine are crap) for the output of my pc.

5. Direct Interface. But that is usually to run your bass into a mixer, or run your amp into a mixer when no mic is available or desired.
    But I am not sure I understand your question. Have you run your mixer into your computer somehow? You will need some type of A/D converter to get the out signal of your Berhinger into your computer. Does your computer have recording software? It might be helpful for you to look at some recording forums before you go any further.
    Give these guys a good looking over.
    .http://www.tweakheadz.com/setting_up_your_audio_card.htm
    That is just ONE link to a very large sight. Check out some of their other pages.
    Good Luck

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You are doing it right. The mixer has a preamp, so you *don't* use your amp.

If you have a passive bass, you still might want to use a DI since the input impedance on the Behringer's tends to be very low.

7. If you have a passive bass, you will have better results either taking a line out of your amp if it has one, or plugging your bass into a DI box and then the box into the mixer.

OR if you just want to record bass, you could just plug your bass into the mic in on your computer instead of the line in, using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. You don't even need the mixer if that's the case.

If it's an active bass, check all your gain stages and make sure you have all the levels up.

8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    You want to go from here:

[​IMG]

to here:

UB-802_top-1a0f7dd7dd4b73734e20e3ef0f9c4915.

and then into your computer.

What you need to do is plug the bass into the amp as usual ans then run an instrument cable from the "line out" jack on the amp to the "line in" on either of the first two channels of the mixer. Then run another instrument cable from the main out channels into the "line in" on your computer's sound card. In my experience recording bass through Behringer mixers I have gotten better results by going through the amp first (assuming you don't have a separate DI box) as the bass amp will typically allow you to "voice" your sound to be more like what a bass is supposed to sound like.

What exactly in the input to your computer? Most sound cards have a small 1/8" stereo input jack and you need to have a particular cable adapter to do this.

9. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    What you're doing usually won't work. A Line In is expecting a higher gain input like from the line out of a CD, or line out of an pre-amp. But that mixer has a gain control on the Line In so you can boost the signal up. A more typical setup would be plug your bass into a DI box and out the DI to the mic' input of a mixer. The DI converts your high impedance output of your bass to low impedance like a microphone. If your amp has an output you can run from it to the mixer, but have to check what type of output the amp has.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Actually, even my weakest passive bass can overpower the preamps on the Behringer mixer. So gain is not a problem ;)

And even a Boss pedal turned off, such as a TU-2, will work in place of a DI for this application.

11. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Generally speaking, you use a DI output from your amp, preamp, or just a simple DI box, to plug into your mixer. You can also put a microphone on your speaker cab. Most people don't plug a bass directly into the boards line in, although it can be done. Be careful with that UB series. The mic pre's are notorious for failing. I am not sure if they ever resolved that issue, but they might have. If they aren't working, move to the next channel and cross your fingers.

12. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I've recorded bass through at least four different Behringer mixers, either from a line out from an amp or just straight from the bass jack and I've never had the mixer actually fail. But I have commonly encountered a lot of distortion that is frequency dependent (not level dependent) that occurs below 60 hz and sounds like an elephant fart. This has never occurred in my other mixers (Yamaha or Mackie).

13. metallicarock

metallicarock

Sep 9, 2007
    sorry for not writing much back on this thread,

i've read some stuff that says put the pc's output and the bass into the mixer, and then mixer> speakers. anyone know what this is about?:confused:

14. Yes. That is something you can surely do and is done in a lot of different setups. However, if it were me, I'd just worry about getting the handle on getting the sound from your amp through the mixer and to your computer input.

First off, I would go out of the phone jack or tape jacks into the computer. That way you have control over the level of that signal. The main outs are looking for amplification on the other end. Unless you've got a soundcard with pre-amp built in, it's not going to work.

15. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    The mixer, in a sense, is just a junction box.

What you need to do is have the outputs of every sound source going in to the mixer and the main mixer outs going to the amp and speakers. You have to do this to hear everything. However, you may wish to bypass the mixer if it colours the sound in an unpleasant way and plug the bass, for example, via its own preamp straight into the computer input and then monitor the bass from the computer outs, which may be plugged into the mixer.

A convenient way to work is to use an aux out from the mixer, so you can flick a switch when you want to record that sound source.

What you will eventually find is your own way of working which gives you a good work flow when recording. It will be limited and defined by the gear you use.

If you are stuck there is probably something in the Behringer manual, or failing that the Mackie manual I found had some good general info in....

16. 100% Wrong. Tape jack outputs the same signal as main and control room output jacks. Just uses unbalanced RCA instead of balanced 1/4" or XLR. Main outs don't care whether they go to an amp or to your trusty old tape deck. Headphone jack is amplified, and has it's own volume control that is dependent on the main output volume. If the mains are down all the way, no signal to headphone jack.

The way you want to do this (I've done this method tons of times), is bass or the DI (sometimes marked Line Out) of the amp to the line in on the mixer. Then get one of those RCA to 1/8" male adapters (commonly used for plugging iPods and the like into home theater equipment), plug that in to the tape out jack on the mixer and plug the 1/8" into the Line in on your computers soundcard.

17. Maybe wrong but I had the same problem with a small mixer. The Main Out line level was too weak going to my soundcard's line-in.