1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Producer Say I Need Hollow Body Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tyohars, Jul 11, 2020.

1. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    So, I recorded my next single earlier this month. When the vocalist do his part, my Producer said that I need a hollow body bass to maximize my music (we play alternative rock). The only HB bass that available at my country right now is Epiphone Viola, Epiphone Woody Allen, Epiphone Jack Casady, Ibanez Artcore, and Fender Coronado, and Hofner Ignition. But all of them is pre ordered, so I can't try them. Hofner Ignition definitely out cause I already tried them and don't like the feel. Oh, he said it doesn't matter full HB or semi HB. So, I let TB do their magic this time. For your consideration, I really love the neck on my Sire V7. Thank you!

zie, leftybass54, Kevin Cox and 3 others like this.
  2. I'd fire the producer and/or throw some flats on the Sire and be done with it. Hollow body basses don't sound so unique you can immediately pick them out of any mix.

3. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    I already have flats on my Pbass

joebar, Mr Cheese, bobyoung53 and 3 others like this.
  4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Is he paying for it? If not ..

5. Just use that and put some foam down by the bridge if that's the sound he's going for. Using a hollow body isn't a night and day difference especially if you have guitars, keys, etc. in the mix.

6. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    The need for a hollow body, sounds like bias not fact.

7. adamcz

adamcz

Jun 20, 2020
    MA
    Try to find out if he owns the only hollowbody dealer in town first :)

8. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I’ve had all of the ones you list in the past. The only one I still have is the Fender Coronado. I also have Gretsch, but that wasn’t listed.

So, it would be a Coronado for me.

9. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I own a Casady and a G&L SB2. With flats on each, they are very different beasts. The producer may just be getting caught up in the image, but there are real differences between the two, and I’d imagine in a studio environment, that’d be emphasized. But I’d also say it’s a 3-5% difference in a mixed track with proper compression and EQ.

All that said, for my old Americana project, it was 100% the Casady in the studio.

10. At most studios, if you walk in with a hollow body, they’re gonna say “get a P bass.” Any engineer worth his salt can make a P bass sound good in the mix.

11. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I would never buy a bass because someone instructed me to do so.

CB3UK, TH63, MarkJC8 and 50 others like this.
  12. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    A lot of information is missing:

Is the producer the band leader?
    Is the producer also the songwriter?
    Are you getting paid for these sessions?
    Is the band signed to a label in which the producer has some artistic control of the project?

robert43, Elusive1, Hotblack and 25 others like this.
  13. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    yep, i think the situation is odd enough that most peeps here are gonna say whaaaaaaaaat? lol

14. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Maybe he can Produce one for you to play then

nostyle, robert43, Elusive1 and 57 others like this.
  15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Just bring whatever bass you want and tell them it's a hollow body. They'll hear what they want.

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Just tell him you can't afford to buy a bass.

robert43, Salty007, Ronzo and 8 others like this.
  17. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Something wrong with producer.:rollno:

18. ejaggers

ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Okay OP, to actually answer your question:

I also have a Fender Coronado, but they don't get much love on this site.
    It always has been, and will probably always be my favorite bass.

A lot of that is because it's the one I've own the longest.
    Like you, I want another hollow body but not sure what else I want,
    that I'm willing to pay top dollar for.

I'd like a Guild Starfire, but not bad enough to pay the price.

19. I have tried many times to record my hollow body bass so I could make a comparison against my solid body bass and show everyone how completely different they sound. So far I have never been able to record anything on the hollowbody that sounded enough different from my solid body to be worth the effort. I still have the hollowbody and it feels very different to play so I think I'm sounding completely different but it just doesn't come out on recordings in any distinctive way different from what I can sound like on any other bass -- I adjust my touch to get whatever sound the song calls for.

20. A producer who ASKS for a hollow body bass?
    That is an absolute first for me.

skwee, cchorney, Mark Ellis and 24 others like this.