My progressive metal band

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by S6I6X, Oct 10, 2011.

1. S6I6X

S6I6X

Jun 25, 2011
    San Diego
    I am the bass player for a progressive metal band called Corelia. I thought I would post on here to get some thoughts on the EP my band released last month from real musicians (bass players). We have been only playing together for about a year but I am proud of what we have accomplished. I try to infuse jazz and slap playing and as much cool/fun stuff in my bass playing to keep things from being normal or boring. Like I said I am very proud of this EP but the only thing I am worried about is the mix might not be too favorable for the bass. The bass tone had a lot of messing with from the guy that mixed it :meh: but I understand why bc we self produced the EP and my guitar player jimmy rigged the mix lol to get it to sound as good as it does. Thanks for listening I look forward to your feedback! Here are some links:

2. S6I6X

S6I6X

Jun 25, 2011
    San Diego
    What? Nobody here likes metal? I know that's not true, I mean I know there's a lot of funk and jazz types here but c'mon somebody has to have some thoughts.

3. Neverender

Neverender

Mar 26, 2009
    Just scoped this out. In a metal band myself, albeit a Melodic/Symphonic Death/Light Black Metal leanings band. I LOVE metal, all types of genres, and almost ALL types of music outside of metal as well.

With that said, this EP is fantastic in my eyes, I only had a chance to check out some of the songs in my laptop, but look forward to throwing on some headphones after my exam tomorrow to get a better sense of the bass. LOVING the tones and atmosphere I am hearing though. The production is fantastic as well. You've got a new fan here.

Awesome song writing, the instruments truly compliment each other, the songs flow and move forward, and I don't get a feeling a of stagnation in their structure!

We don't have much in the ways of money is our band at the moment, recording an album ourselves so we are doing it at a buddies house. I WISH so badly we could get this kind of crisp and clear sound.

Kudos mate, I wish you all the best!

P.S. I'll chime back in when I can throw on headphones and get a better sense of your basslines (boo laptop speakers).

4. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    this is badass! I love the clean vocals. Will definitely be checking out more of your stuff.

5. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Definitely like the clean vocals. Reminds me a lot of Suncaged. That's a very good thing. The "metal" vocals do nothing for me. its nothing against you or your band, just think its been done enough already and i wish people would move on.

You guys are good! The bass could use a boost in the mix. You can never have enough bass...

Ill support this.

6. WholeGrainBass

WholeGrainBass

Aug 15, 2011
    It's pretty awesome.

My band is in the process of recording as well and I went for that crisp Steve Harris sound to make the bass distinctive from the guitars.

Ya'll should make your way to the East Coast sometime

7. S6I6X

S6I6X

Jun 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Thanks for the kind works guys! Yeah, I know the screaming isn't for everyone but I love it in the right context. I just don't like it when a singer only screams. And I do know the bass is kind of low. Really the problem is the guitars are too loud. We had to learn how to mix and record everything as we went so it's not perfect. The next time the bass is going to be a lot more present ;)

8. bassnj

bassnj

Sep 16, 2011
    Jesus Christ man, this is really good!!

9. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Great stuff, man. Really digging it. Great mix of complexity and actual melody. I was going to say I hear a bit of Periphery, but noticed Spencer's name.
    Would love to play with you gents if you make it out to the right coast (see link for my band in signature).

10. I really liked it. Mix is pretty good (if a little light on the bass, then again this is a bass forum). I really like the mixture of vocal styles.

11. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    I like it... it sounds good, pretty well for "home made" stuff !!

12. Massimo636

Massimo636

Aug 3, 2011
    This is actually pretty amazing, bro. The singer's clean vocals are indeed exceptional, pretty good screams too. The mix sounds excellent and the music is very good. All around impressed.

edit: The bass could use to come up a db or two in the mix.

13. Wow this stuff is great.
    Need to get the EP asap!

14. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    This is good, though not my style. It's an interesting blend of styles. You should sell this!
    Good bass playing, and I like the mix. Your bass is right there when needed.

Only concern: Can your drummer nail that live? :bag:

15. Hell yes! Love it! Great job

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I like it! Good work!

17. S6I6X

S6I6X

Jun 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Thanks! And yes, my drummer can play it live ;)

18. 64jazz

64jazz

Nov 29, 2011
    Louisville, KY USA
    I'm an old bastard and this is NOT my "bag" by any means, but I'd buy your CD in a heartbeat! The bass could use a little boost, IMO, but your drummer is incredible and more than makes up for it if he can do all that live.

19. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Your band sounded pretty cool. your band sounds like a fusion of dark tranquility and queensryche. awesome stuff. I play metal too. I play in three bands. two bands I am bass player and back-up vocalist. and one band I'm lead singer and bass player. I made a thread on three of my bands. here's the link.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f19/my-three-bands-826985/

Feel free to check it out.

20. jsteez

jsteez

Aug 21, 2011
    This is completely amazing dude, i would give your stuff a listen any day. Your guy's composition is truly exeptional, everything truly flows.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021