My Project. I want ur opinion Custom bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderPunk, Feb 19, 2010.

1. FenderPunk

FenderPunk

Jan 26, 2010
    project is to take a olympic white jazz bass body, 60s replica probally, maple jazz neck, seymour duncan basslines SJB-3b SJB-3n S quarter pound pickups, and black 3ply pickguard. and possibly chrome knobs on the control plate. maybe black racing stripe

opinions plz plz plz haha.
    Wat u think of look, sound, anything.
    And post pics if u are on or have done a similar project

54852_l.jpg ,
    starting body

[​IMG]
    pickups

[​IMG]
    neck

[​IMG]
    pickguard

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    People assemble parts basses all the time. Some of those come out great, some are disappointing after the honeymoon, depends on a mix of luck and experience. Build yours, see what it's really like, and then tell us about it.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Sounds cool, except I would stick with the bass as it is shown (white/RW/tort) and throw some Lollars in it. To each his own. That's what parts basses are all about.

4. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I would do something a little more "special" with it too. Maybe go for an ebony fingerboard, which should give you the same-ish tone as maple, but black, which I think would look hot with oly white and red tort.

Throw in a J-retro preamp and maybe some more 'boutique' style pickups, and there you've got yourself a 'custom' bass!

5. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    Or if you decide to keep the Maple neck, maybe some blocks and binding? =]

6. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    I would keep it olly white, tort, rosewood and put in some fender, fralin or lollar pups. So I'm with snyders.

btw. Bridge and pup covers?

7. I´m curious about how would it look as I have an olympic white jazz with maple and tort pg and I was considering changing to a black pg.

Does somebody have this combination so I can have an idea of how would it look?

thnx

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Personally I wouldn't call that custom. Would have to be a parts bass, or a modded bass. In my opinion.

9. colcifer

colcifer Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    i'd suggest 'fralins and a rosewood fingerboard if it's a vintage tone you're after. what you have now is a very modern setup

10. FenderPunk

FenderPunk

Jan 26, 2010

no bridge and pickup covers they get in my way. when i slap i attack the bass and i cant do that with the pickup cover in the way

11. FenderPunk

FenderPunk

Jan 26, 2010

Im not really going after a vintage tone, im a punk and pop punk bassist, thats the reaon for the quarter pound pups

12. Jotha

Jotha Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2009
    New Jersey
    What about a black matte finish and matching headstock, with torto pickguard??? With the maple fingerboard will be a really eye-catching bass!!!
    If you play punk-rock music, the tone and bite of the Basslines it's a good choice; match it with the Basslines 2-band electronics and you're ready to rock!!!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021