My Project Rickenbacker 4005 Mani-A-Like

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by '51 P-Man, Feb 21, 2010.

1. '51 P-Man

'51 P-Man

Jan 24, 2007
    I've seena nother post on here about someone who wanted to make a ricky 4005. I wanted a 4005, but also couldnt stretch to the £4000++.
    I wanted mine to be areplica of Mani's paint splattered one, from his Stone Roses days. As a result, the finish wasnt important, so i made a fairly crude body, from two pieces of ply, sandwiched around some softwood block, for the pickups and neck to afix. The bridge contoured chamfer was routed. The whole thing was then covered in wet (Glue pva) thin canvas. When dried, it was given the pollock paint effect, and covered in a varnish to seal and harden. A replica MIJ ricky 4001 was bought, and the neck, with wave headstock and trapezoidal pearl inlays, removed, and glued and screwed into the neck socket in the body. (The remaining pasrts of the 4001 copy were sold on, to pay for 4005 bits. I then bought a ricky 5 knob wiring harness with pots, 4005 toaster pickups, bridge, and a 12 string 'R' tailpiece. The tailpiece had to be dremelled out, to widen the slots for the 4 larger strings, but was easy enough. The whole thing was assembled,a nd done. I just need an original Ricky TRC to complete (A handmade one will do for now), so there you have it, its cost a bit of money for the bits, and alot of time, but i have what looks just like a ricky 4005, with body contours and mouldings in all the right places, for a fraction of the cost, i can sell the parts for the same as a paid, or more, so no loss at all. I love it. I'm gonna trya nd add some pics now....

Attached Files:

2. Wow, Ricken-tripp'in :cool:

3. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Pretty funky, and inventive.
    Good job!

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Fantastic finished product. Looks like the real thing. Nice work.

5. Well good now you dont have sell your soul because its already in you

Awesome job man!!

6. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    You sir, are possessed of a powerful talent.

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    make me one!

8. cool nice job man

9. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Very cool.

10. muzikman7

muzikman7

Sep 16, 2004
    Thats great.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021