Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Quantum Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, May 29, 2003.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Well, I've had my Quantum Fretless for a couple of months now, so I thought I better post a pic. These are Cimperman Sales original pics, although I am the 2nd owner of this thing.

I have a Q5 fretted, so the construction, barts, and preamp were all familiar to me.

A few thoughts:

* It's no surprise that the tone is quite similar to a fretted Q5; however it obviously introduces charteristics common among fretless basses. Immediately noticeable is that it offers a decent helping of 'mwah', especially with the mids boosted and the bridge pup soloed. It's definitely not organic or woody sounding, but I find it extremely clear and deep.

* It's very easy to play in tune, which is a huge bonus for me. The bright fret lines combined with the instrument's willingness to forgive slight imperfections in intonation both contribute. Might be the 35" scale at work.

* I'm betting the Phenolic board will hold up well to the wear and tear that a fretless bass usually incurs, but it also partially contributes to the slight sterile quality of the tone and is acoustically 'clanky'. This isn't a big deal at all once you EQ and amp the thing. I think I prefer a wood board on a Q5, but grenadillo probably would require more maintenance since I'd be wearing grooves faster.

* In summary, I would recommend a Q5 fretless unless you just really dig on organic/woody sounds for fretless. The construction, range of tones, clarity, and mwah help make it a winner.

* Yes, yes. Zons are cool too. :D

* Ok, the color is called "Royal Velvet", but there is no way around it; It's FLAMED PURPLE. And I love it. :bassist:

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Front

3. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    :eek: :D

Great looking bass! I'm glad you like it.

Enjoy!

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    FWIW, I owned both Q6's with grenadillo board and phenolic. I greatly prefered the phenolic. The wood board just didn't have the same clarity of tone and didn't seem to compliment the bass as well. The one I kept is purple, btw. Cool, bass. :cool: