1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Quantum Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, May 29, 2003.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Well, I've had my Quantum Fretless for a couple of months now, so I thought I better post a pic. These are Cimperman Sales original pics, although I am the 2nd owner of this thing.

I have a Q5 fretted, so the construction, barts, and preamp were all familiar to me.

A few thoughts:

* It's no surprise that the tone is quite similar to a fretted Q5; however it obviously introduces charteristics common among fretless basses. Immediately noticeable is that it offers a decent helping of 'mwah', especially with the mids boosted and the bridge pup soloed. It's definitely not organic or woody sounding, but I find it extremely clear and deep.

* It's very easy to play in tune, which is a huge bonus for me. The bright fret lines combined with the instrument's willingness to forgive slight imperfections in intonation both contribute. Might be the 35" scale at work.

* I'm betting the Phenolic board will hold up well to the wear and tear that a fretless bass usually incurs, but it also partially contributes to the slight sterile quality of the tone and is acoustically 'clanky'. This isn't a big deal at all once you EQ and amp the thing. I think I prefer a wood board on a Q5, but grenadillo probably would require more maintenance since I'd be wearing grooves faster.

* In summary, I would recommend a Q5 fretless unless you just really dig on organic/woody sounds for fretless. The construction, range of tones, clarity, and mwah help make it a winner.

* Yes, yes. Zons are cool too. :D

* Ok, the color is called "Royal Velvet", but there is no way around it; It's FLAMED PURPLE. And I love it. :bassist:

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Front

3. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    :eek: :D

Great looking bass! I'm glad you like it.

Enjoy!

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    FWIW, I owned both Q6's with grenadillo board and phenolic. I greatly prefered the phenolic. The wood board just didn't have the same clarity of tone and didn't seem to compliment the bass as well. The one I kept is purple, btw. Cool, bass. :cool: