My Quest For a "do it all 12" is over...what now?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I play a passive jazz through an iamp 500, I miss the low end that a single 12 cab can't give...what would you guys suggest for a standalone cab to be used in medium volume jam/worship settings (Berg Ht 210? HT115? Epi 310UL?, etc?)
  2. What amp and bass will you be using, and what's your tone preference and playing style (fingerstyle only, some slap, new round wound vs. more mellow, etc.)?
  3. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I'll be using a good ole Celinder Vintage (passive) jazz 4 stringer and an iamp 500. I like a rig that is versatile although I usually play fingerstyle 90% of the time. I like cabs that are deep and punchy, while also clear and warm...Thanks
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You should think about a one cab 2x12 solution.

My choice is the local favorite...The Schroeder 1212. Its the same size or smaller than most 1x12 cabs.
  5. Nice rig! The two 112 idea sounds like a good one to me. You would get that amp purring at 4ohms with a second cab, and it seems that 12's would line up best for the sound you are going for (which seems like classic 60's fingerstyle J Bass). I do not have a lot of experience with the Berg cabs. I've played the 210 and 115 and, while I found them heavy to haul around, really appreciated the warmth and mid punch they put out. So, maybe two of the 112's, one with tweeter and one without. Their 112's are not that heavy, and from what I understand have a little more low mid presence and warmth vs. the Epi112UL's... which are very upper mid and treble present, etc.

I'm one that didn't particularly like the iAmp/Epi combination... but that's just pure personal preference and choice... I found that very clean (some would say 'sterile) iAmp sound a little too 'clinical' combined with the UL's very articulate voicing... again... pure personal preference.

Good luck on the search.

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I get that out of the various single 12 cabs I use. GK Neo112 and aguilar GS112. My pair of GS 112's do the warm thing better than the GK and are lighter to haul around than my HT115.

GK Neo 212 would probably put a smile on your face.
  7. The GK Neo stuff is starting to get some really good buzz around here... I'll have to hunt down a dealer and try them sometime.

Regarding the GS112's... they are nice, but I found them more scooped.... lot's of low's and a very pronounced treble response (even for me).... I wasn't hearing warm at all compared to other 112's... but we might just be using the term differently. The GS112's sound in the same tone family as the EpiUL112's, but not nearly as good (heavier, less mid punch, harsher treble, less overall volume IMO... of course, less money also!).
  8. Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Two EA Wizzy 12's will sound *great* with the iAmp, and are lighter combined than most 2x12 cabs. Plus you can take just one when you want ultra-light weight. 2 Wizzys puts out a much deeper bass than just one, imho ...

Good Luck!
  9. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    My complaint with the Wizzy is that a single one (never tried two) lacks in the bass freq dept- I can hear the rolloff when I play below the A on the E string...maybe I will try two and see what I think....I believe Tom Bowlus is a big fan of two Wizzys.

Anyone ever try the Epi 310UL with an EA iamp? Thanks
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i thought the EA Was ok with the Epi. wasnt totally enamoured with the sound.

but IMHO, EA on EA tones ROCK. i say get a 4 ohm NL210 and be done with it.
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you are looking for a single cab, I would recommend an NL-210, in a 4 ohm configuration, if possible. This cab has very impressive low end. Two Wizzy's also sound great with an iAMP 800 (the lows are much more than you would expect from stacking the two), and I would think that the 500 would push two of them fairly well.

The best single 1x12 for tons of low end that I have tried is the Epifani T-112. But I do have to agree that the iAMPs aren't as plug and play friendly with Epifani cabs, for whatever reason.

12. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My Bergie HT112 never lets me down...
  13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good point. The HT112 is one of the best sounding 1x12's out there, but just one of them doesn't have the massive low end it sounds like he's after.

Of course, there is the IP112... :D
  14. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI

How about the te Bergie 210 or the Glock you tested? Would you suggest the Bergie 115 as a standalone over the 210? WHy/Why not? It seems like you really liked the 210 Berg a bunch, even beter then the EA is much cheaper used too...Thanks
  15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Upgrade the iAmp to an 800 and pair it with an Acme Low-B2 and you'll get all the lows you've been missing.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Definitely! I apologize for perhaps limiting my responses to the "EA on EA" thing. Yes, either an HT210, HT115 or Glockenklang Duo would be awesome cabs with an iAMP 500. As for which is a better standalone, I could honestly go with either. The two 2x10's might be slightly more tonally balanced, and the HT115 might have a bit more low-mid grunt. But any of the three (four, counting the NL-210) would be excellent standalone cabs.
  17. Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    That's cool. It's funny, I find plenty of bass all the way down with a Wizzy. But I play mostly low-volume gigs, and usually on a fretless 5 with flats, or my EUB (4-string). Maybe I'm hearing those great midrange harmonics that are such a part of the fretless and EUB tone, and not so much the fundamentals in the low register.

Good luck!! :)
  18. Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Tom, thank you! I wasn't aware that the NL210 came in a 4 ohm ... good to know ...

19. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Two wizzys are much greater than the sum of their parts! I use two wizzys with the iAMP 500 and it works great.

And I would suggest the upgrade. I tried a B2 with the iAMP 500 and had to max out the gain and volume :eek: There is no way I could have gigged with it :meh:

Also, don't look at the B2 while you are playing or you will get mesmerized and miss the changes. Or maybe that is just me :p
  20. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I haven't heard many negative comments about the EA/Epifani match many others feel the same way about this pairing?

When Sadowsky comes out with their new pedal/preamp I am going to have to rethink the whole thing...I'll need a power amp and a good single cab to pair with the Sadowsky pre...