Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My quest is compleat!.. The perfect overdrive...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tecx, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    In the begining there was bass, and I would like to keep it that way...

So my life long journey to find the perfect bass overdrive is now compleat, after a trip to a local music store - and about 15 hours online...

I have a stroy first, so you will have to wait to find out all the jucy details...

Here is a historical rundown:

Units I own curently-

Tech 21 RBI (great distortion, but I use it for my clean tone... :-( Plus I like the sound of the BDDI more...)

Shin Ei Fuzz Wah (keeps all the lows, but there is nothing suttle about this one. Full on all the time. I need suttlenes damnit)

Guyatone Tube Overdrive (Also a great pedal, but cuts a lot of lows and thins the sound out. But it is not without its qualities, volume swells sound fantastic and whale like with this thing - and it can get a great psudo guitar sound.)

DOD death metal x2 - no longer used for bass (has no tone, and is even more full on that the shin ei. It now resides in my noise pedal board)

Boss bass overdrive (well this thing is (IMO) a fart in a can, I hate it on bass... No tone, the blend sucks... and I HATE BOSS... This too now resides in my noise pedal board)

Units I have owned-

Peavey rockmaster preamp - rackmount (I love this thing, but I am getting away from rack gear prosesors... So very shortly it will be on its way to our own Devilman, I am sure she will get a good home from him...)

DOD Overdrive Plus FX50B (Wow this thing just plane blew!.. But it picked up some cool radio stations!..)

Akai Shredmaster (real tube, real thin!.. I was real pissed at myself for buying this, man what a waist of money...)

there are many more - but it would get boring...

Units I have tried-

HAO Rust Driver - Sounded fabulous!!! all the lows, very trasparent... But a big 0 in the suttle department, I just couldn't coax a light svtish crunch out of it... But man what a cool pedal... Cheep too!..

Tech 21 BDDI - Again realy great, but not very trasparent... I want my original tone to shine through...

Again I could go on... But now for the finaly!!!

Yesterday after much reserch, and a few phone calls to shadowy men whos names can not be mentioned due to the safty of there wives and children. I purchaised what I consider to be the ultimate solid state bass overdrive :

THE DOD 250 OVERDRIVE/PREAMP-

[​IMG]

Cost me 66 loonies
    Uber transparent
    No loss of tone/bass
    Bucket loads of suttleness, and gain
    Cool looks
    Solid construction

All I have to say is WOW!!.. This thing has flown way under the radar, for both guitar and bass... Its so transparent, it really lets your basses tone sing through. I have it set so if I play lightly it just boosts my signal giving me that great duby massive tone, but when I dif in it shows it teeth and lets a little snarl in there... But if I wanted I could crank the gain the to moon, and melt the walls!.. Because it only clipps your signal there is no loss of tone or bass, infact it boosts the bass in my signal without distorting it... I gota tell you I am in love!...

:hyper:

Sound clips soon to follow!!!

Cheers

Alex

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    did you get an original or the reissue?

3. Was the Boss that bad? Was it the ODB-3 Overdrive? I currently own one and although it took me MONTHS of tweaking, live and in practice, it's worked out well (I aim for the Foo Fighters distorted bass sound).
    Thanx for the review on various distortions, I will definately check out the DOD 250 when I'm next in the local guitar store ;)

4. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Hey man, nope I got the reisue... I have heard that the reissue has better trasparency, and the originals are going for criploads now that mallstien has a signature 250... But in all my searching I couldn't find any acounts of anyone using it on bass, not at all... It sounds soooooo good... Massive sound, and suttle too..

5. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Yup the ODB-3... Couldn't strand it for bass, works great for noise...

Alex

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Its not true bypass though, and it dosn't have an LED... But I am thinking about sending it to FX Doctor to have it true bypased and have a status LED put on, mind you the mod will cost more than the pedal did... hahaha... Oh the life of a tone junky...
    :D
    Alex

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    very cool, I'll check it out. And at $40, I won't be out much if I don't like it!

I'm not hung up on reissues vs originals. In general I think that progress is good, so ofter reissues will have better bypass etc. But then you have the fx25b vs fx25, the new fx25b sounded pretty bad to me.

8. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ya but the FX25-B was not a reissue, it was an "improved modle"... I hate the newer version too, and I have both the solid green and the metal flake older FX25's... I have used the old 440 as well, it works better as an envilope filter - but sucks at the dub sound... I would say most of the time reissues are as good if not better, as long as they keep it the same...

Alex

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey, how about some soundclips? It may inspire me to go dig out that old OD250 from 1981 I bought for $5 and get it to work again!

10. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I agree, the BOSS isn't that bad. In fact I along with many other players are very happy with it.
    Out of interest, how do you get your Foo Fighters sound by the way.

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You can't say that if you haven't tried a Fulltone Bassdrive! ;) However, it looks like you've found a pretty damn cool pedal - nice and simple too.

Alex

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The fulltone does rock, and it's pretty much my favorite.

However, I have a terminal overdrive/distortion pedal addiction.

right now I have:
    Fulltone Bassdrive
    Dredgetone Angler (had one, traded it, missed it)
    Barber deep fryer
    EBS multidrive
    DOD fx92 Bass grunge
    Prescription electronics depth charge
    black cat octave fuzz
    Sansamp TriAC - well our guitarist 'borrowed' it a year ago so that doesn't count, right ;-)

I'm trying not to think how much I have tied up in pedals lying around...

I've also previously owned and then sold/returned /traded (dist/od/fuzz only):
    ibanez pd7
    black box xray
    frantone lo-tone
    chunk fuzz
    boss odb-3 (for 1 day, not my cup of tea at all)
    bjf blueberry od
    zvex woolly mammoth
    budda phat bass
    GK diesel dawg
    proco juggernaut
    Roger Mayer voodoo bass
    digitech xseries bass distortion
    tubeworks blue tube pedal

I may have missed one or two, hopefully not as it's a scary enough list as it is

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yes, you do. And I thought it was OTT when I had a Bassdrive, a Big Muff and a Sparkledrive on my pedalboard!

I now just have the Bassdrive and the Big Muff, though I do have a Unibass on there as well but that doesn't count does it?!!

Alex

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, I don't have them all on the pedalboard at the same time... or I'd have a pedalboard of od/dist pedals only. :)

I generally only use two live - the bassdrive and black cat or depth charge.

I prefer the o/d on the multidrive for recording.

But, I should thin that collection down a bit. It is quite ridiculous. But everytime I go to do it, I think "but I'd miss this one". Or the bass grunge, which I never use, but it was so cheap ($20?) it's hardly worth selling.

"Hi, my name's David and I'm a pedal addict"

15. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ok they are not that good but here we go...

The first one is with the gain all the way up, using a pick with the tone all the way up on my p-bass...

Alex

16. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Here is the second... Played fingerstyle, first softly for a dubby tone then I dig in for some grit. The gain is halfway here, and the tone is all the way off on my bass...

Alex

ps. These clips where recoded without a DI, and are directly into a mic input on a DJ mixer... Rough I know, but I had to unload almost all my studio gear last year... :(

17. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    that sounds great for fingerstyle! *strokes goatee* :D

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sounds very interesting, especially so for only $40!

19. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The bassdrive is pretty much the fulldrive but voiced with extra low range so it'll work with bass better. I haven't tried both, but I've often wondered if me makes the fulldrive and bassdrive exactly the same these days and just puts a different case on them.

20. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Jeff Amett uses both the bass version and regular, he uses the regular for full on distortion and the bass for mild...

Alex

ps. So no hekling about my playing in the clips..??? :eek: