Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Wooohaaaaa. Sorry, the adrenaline is still rushing through me.

Alright, so, I convinced my parents to take the family up for a day in Seattle as I was planning on going bass shopping and hopefully getting it done and over with.

First stop, Guitar Center. There was an old Ibanez BTB 405QM, that had been sitting there for over a year, used, that I really REALLY liked the feel and sound of, so I wanted to stop in and see if it was still there.

Son of a gun, it still was. So I look at the pricetage, still $700. Hmm, the one at Bass Northwest was $400, but didnt play as well.

I figuere, what the hell, go up to the counter and ask if theyll match the price. The manager does a little ho-humming, and finally says, fine, we havent moved it in too long, well drop it down to $400.

Im ecstatic, but not finalized yet, so I ask him to hold it for the day and head over to Bass NW.

I wanted to try some of the other basses before finalizing, even if the price was there. Specifically, I wanted to try the Lakland 55-01 and the MTD Kingston 5.

Must say, they did not live up to the hype. In the least. I was quite dissapointed. The MTD was just bad, IMHO, really not my thing. The Lakland was quite a bit better, and was actually qutie nice, but the B was not as good as on the Ibanez.

I told Chad I'd be right back, and ran back to Guitar Center. Bought my Ibanez.

Now, needed and amp, and I had about ~$450 left. So I come back to Chad, guitar in hand and say, "help me".

I must say, I knwe Chad was a great guy, but his care and service honestly blew me away. He ran a full setup for me, adjusting my truss rod, string height, and pickup height until it was perfect for my playing style, and then we got down to searching for an amp.

After about 2 hours of going back and forth I finally decided on a used Ampeg B-100R 15" Combo. For $350, and an INCREDIBLE sound, I just couldnt pass it up.

So, finally, after a long long long day in Seattle, I came home with my new guitar, my new amp, a new case, and a whole lot of inspiration.

Im in love all over again. Happy Birthday, my bass guitar. Happy February 1st, the start of a new year :D

Here are some pics I took, sry about the quality and mess.

PS - Played the Victor Wooten Monarch, dear sweet jesus. Now THERE is a bass that lives up to the hype ;)
  2. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    The body is actually a bit greener in person, but the picture does it good justice :)
  3. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
  4. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I just realized the pics are really huge, sry ;)
  5. Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Congrats on your gear score:) Im green because you got to play the Vic and I didn't:( :D
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Sounds good man, as long as you dig it. Weird, your the first person ive seen that prefers the Ibanez B string to the lakland and Kingston models. I really like that Ibanez.but picking it over the Lakland and Kingston's GOTTA be good. well, i'm weird to, i would take the ibanez and the kingston over that Lakland ANY day.
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Here man, i resized that one picture of your bass, so that everyone can see it quicker and on the thread.....anything for a fellow Ibanez supporter!!!

8. That's a 515, not a 405. You got an absolutely KILLER deal. Just a shame it ain't the newer Bart-equipped version, but it still rocks.
  9. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Congrats little buddy:)
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Man you got the hook up. Spending less than $900 for a complete rig is amazing.. especially with the gear you got.. congrats
  11. *takes out a spork* Hand that fine Ibanez over ;)
  12. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Cool rig, my man!;)

Yeah, that Chad and boys are pretty awesome guys. It's like a playground in there.
  13. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    515? You sure?

Chad said it didnt look like a 405. Sweeeet :D
  14. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Folks, I think the west coast now has it's own BJIT*

Congrats on the huge score, Noobai.

*BJIT - Brad Johnson In Training
  15. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Man you are one lucky feller. I have just started to like the looks of the BTB' I really really like em.