My questions about tapewound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, May 5, 2001.

1. Im about ready to get some new strings, and was thinking about getting tapewounds. no particular reason, i just want to try something different.

i played this fretless acoustic with blue tapewound strings and i really liked it. they didnt have a fretted electric in the store with tapewound, though.

is it ok to put tapewounds on my fretted bass? (Fender J) how will this sound differ with the regular nickel/s. steel strings i've been using? and they'll last for a shorter period than nickel/s.steel strings, right? any other info appreciated.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've never seen blue tapewounds. I've seen plenty of black ones, though. As far as sound, I find them to be brighter than flatwounds, and bassier than nickel rounds. They have a different tonal quality which is kind of hard to describe. They don't sound like flats or rounds. I would think they would last at least as long as nickel rounds, some guys keep them on for a really long time.

They work fine on fretted basses. The only problem you might have (which is not related to frets) is that since they are so huge, they might not fit the nut very well.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I use them on a fretted. And manohman...It's different. It's super punchy, and kinda metallic/funky. You'd better like that sound. I do. It cuts through like nobody's buisiness. They stay bright danged long (well, the roundcores I use do), and when they do "go dead" tehy still pack more punch than a lot of other types of strings. Plus, they have a better witness point (less area on the saddle). That means better intonation, but becuase of that, you mught have to asgust your bridge a bit. Try em. I love them!
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Better witness point?

Brendan, it sounds like you are talking about taperwounds.

These guys are talking about nylon tapewounds. BIG difference.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whoops...miss one "r" and the whole thing gets messed up...My bad...