Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Rack Broke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave, May 2, 2005.

1. I have the Grundorf 4 space Mighty Light amp rack and last night when I was unloading my car, I sat the amp on the ground and went to pick it up again and the lid broke. When i say broke, I mean the latch on the lid side ripped out of the lid. The lid is plywood and the latch piece was screwed in with three screws. What do you think I should do to fix it?

Thanks

2. Instead of screws, use nuts and bolts with big washers. Sounds like the threads just stripped out, which can happen. Using washers will distribute the weight at the fastening points and be much better than screws.

3. Thats what I figured, just wanted some other opinions.

Has anyone else ever had their rack do that to them before?

Thanks

4. Hmmmm, I just put my HA3500 in a 2 space "Mighty Light" 3 weeks ago and just took alook at it. I haven't had any problems like that and it fits my amp perfect but if I did need some support for the hinge on the side I think washers would work great but I would probably cut a piece of sheet metal or aluminum to fit on the inside of the compartment, put a small washer and nut in there and tighten it down. Make sense?......anyway.......

5. I have a Mighty Light I use for my preamp and effects and it works just fine, but I would absolutely not put a power amp in one. They just aren't sturdy enough to handle 40 or 50lbs.

6. Apparently thats the problem. I have a QSC RMX in it. Definitly not the lightest of power amps.

7. They shoulda mounted the handle on the side instead of the lid. I worry about the lid coming off with just my preamp and effects in it. I couldn't imagine putting my CA9 in one. :eyebrow:

8. Thats one of the first things I thought about when it arrived. Maybe its a good time to do that and make it so that the lid isn't carrying all that weight.

9. Duct tape. I don't know how, but you know the answer lies within duct tape somewhere.

10. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Pics please...

11. Doesnt it always?

Duct tape and a hammer can fix anything

12. throw in a can o'WD40 and a bag of cable ties and you can definitely put anything in the shape you want it to be in!

And how many seasons of McGyver did they make,... trying to fool us all we need anything more? :eyebrow:

13. Yeah, well the problem with that is I have no digital camera or scanner...so that kinda sucks. Ill ask my girl if i can borrow hers and see if i can get some pics up here.