Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MY RACK OF DEVIL DOOM DISTORTION!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Oct 29, 2005.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Check out my rack guys. All the overdrive, distortion, Compression and tone tweaking you could ask for in a nice, clean rackmounted package. See if you can spot the one of a kind secret weapon in there. I finally have something that Tom Bowlus doesn't!!! hahahahahahahahaha :hyper:

2. Destruction comes at a heavy price, ehh?

Don't worry, pun intended :D

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...what's the suprise above the Aggie???...

~S~

4. (O)))

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    (?)))...

~S~

6. :)

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    LMAO! S. O'Malley is a friend of mine...

If you want SICK bass assault, check out my latest Rigor Sardonicous, brutal old school doom with 2 bassist...

~S~

8. Will do.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Heck, I don't own a single item in that rack! Nice! :p

10. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I had Walter Harley build the rack unit for me. He's the guy who builds the practice headphone units. It's really not that crazy of a unit. I had walter put a boss compressor and a voodoo labs sparkle overdrive in a rack for me. That way I have no pedals on the floor. It is ac powered, each effects can be switched in or out with a glowing button, it has an effects loop which can be kicked in/out with a button on the front or by a footswitch, also it has an input and a out put for your instrument on the front and back. This gives you more hookup options. So, I have a great clean sound from the aggie, a clean sound with distortion blended in from the voodoo lab, a crazy amount of distortion in the fx loop from the billysheehan preamp and another distortion channel from the aggie. I love it. I keep the sparkle overdrive on 90% of the time. Also, I like to keep my rack within 6 spaces. Walter harley is the Man.

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    sounds pretty hairy! How do the lows work out? What cabs are you running through + bass???

~S~

12. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have a pair of yamaha billy sheehan attitude basses. Most gigs I use a pair of avatar b210's but I also have an ampeg 8x10. There is no loss of low end at all. All of the distortions except the one built into the aggie can be mixed with a clean sound. Every item in the rack has been chosen through constant gigging. None of them sucks my tone down in any way. I have an experiment that Im running right now with a raven labs true blue eq and an avalon u5 (still on back order) but I don't see this rack setup changing. It has all been gig proven. The pedals that where built into the rack where used for years. The sheehan preamp has a certain nice sound to it and I love the freak out distortion. The aggie has been the best head ever. It works in every time of sucky room and is light. I replaced my ashdown rig with it.

13. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Oh yeah, I have a pearce guitar preamp, misc eqs, combos and an armada of pedals that never go to gigs with me. The nice, clean, light rack is my weapon of choice everytime.

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Very cool!

~S~

PS: I've gotta post my main gig set-up too, which is different from what I own/record through also...

15. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Can you kick in the compressor and/or Sparkle Drive via footswitches, also? Or just via the front panel knobs?

16. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    One Word - WOW!

17. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do you have anything we could hear? I would like to hear the sound you get ot of that badboy.
    Mike

18. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Any suggestions of how to post a sound sample on here? I will do it. I can click the compression and od out with the pushbuttons of the front. The fx loop can be used this way or with a footswitch input on the back. I had it designed this way. So, let me know how to post wave files or mp3's.

19. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    So, do you run the pres in sequence or do you switch from the Ampeg to the Aggie? I'm just wondering how colored your overall sound (when not overdriven) is?

20. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The ampeg is in the fx loop, which is after the compressor and sparkle od in series. I can use it as a preamp in front of the aggie or as a distortion effect or as a clean sound with distortion layered on top. When I kick it out, it has no effect on my tone. My clean sound is just the compressor and aggie. I leave the od on 95% of the time though. This really is a great setup. NOw, If someone would tell me how to post mp3 or wave files on here, I would record samples of every sound available with this setup. ABout 6 very distinct sounds or more.