Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My realist pickup just came in the mail!!!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Libersolis, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    :hyper:

Been waiting on this thing for a while now. Im stoked :) I know not really worthy of making a new thread, but I am excited and wanted to share with everyone :)

2. jazzy J

jazzy J

Aug 8, 2003
    Congrats with your new gear!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let me know how it treats you !

J

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    It sounds great on my bass. I tried Underwoods and Fishman and the
    Realist sounded far better, it captured the sound of my instrument. I hope it works as well for you, What kind of amplifier will you use with it?

4. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys. Right now I am using a Hartke bass amp that weighs 80 pounds :( Didn't sound that great with the Fishman or the Underwood but I haven't installed the realist yet ( my teacher is going to help me later) Im looking at getting either an Acoustic Image or a Gallien Kruger.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    If you're thinking of pairing the Realist with an AI combo, like the Contra, be prepared for the possibility of an extremely DARK sound. I used that setup for awhile, and I had to use some pretty radical EQ just to hear the thing. I ended up using the Realist in combination with an Underwood, which actually sounded okay at the time.

6. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    When I was using the Realist with an AI Contra, I ended up using the filter, which for some reason gave a more focused sound. Of course it's different for every bass, player, set of strings, etc.

7. mister_k

mister_k

Jul 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    i use the realist on two different basses with different strings through a swr 12" combo, and a SVT pro head with a 4x10. it definitely sounds different on the two instruments. On the Engle with helicore pizz it sounds very pronounced (bordering on thunky) with serious top end bite, on the old european ply with spiros it sounds incredibly clear through both rigs, if anything it's a little gnarly up top on the arco, but that's as much the strings as anything. i love the thing.

K.

8. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I like the sound of my Realist through my Gallien Krueuger MBS150. Much fuller and more natural sounding than the Underwood and more arco-friendly too. Any inherent darkness is easliy overcome by cranking the hi boost, although this makes the arco sound harsher.

- Steve

http://kaybass.home.att.net

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I really like the Realist + AI Contra combo for my setup. Its true for some basses it sounds to dark, but on other basses it can sound great. Alot of guys in the Kansas City area are using Realist + Contras now. I think the Realist is KC String's standard pickup on most of their basses.