1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Recent Adventures In WoW (with some pictures)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    [rant]

OK, so I finally decide to try out WoW. I wasn't willing to shell out $$$ just in case I didn't like it so I picked up one of the "trial" ones for 2$.

All in all I really don't know what all the fuss is about...

First thing that happens is a gig of patches. The first one DLs like mad, even with my router FW screwing around. I have 2 comps, and can only open the FW for one of them. Sucks but I figure WTH, it worked out fine this time. Well, then I try to DL the 2nd one. Slower than mollasses in january. In the end I found in on a game patch website and DLed it that way. So, after 2-3 hours (lost track...) I finally get to do something. Watching grass grow would've been more fun! The little intro that you get on the undead had me thinking that this was gonna be like "oblivion" and I was gonna be thrust into some overarching race/world quest. Nope. Instead I just end up hunting zombies and skeletons for a couple of hours, with my only real reward being that I got to level 4. Ooooooooo... *** is with the loot from bodies being better than that of the quest givers? Seriously. I'd start a quest thinking "wow, I'll go for ... when I get back". Then I'd get back and realize that what I origanally wanted is **** compared to what I'd got off of bodies.

Not to be discouraged, I decided to keep going again today (sunday, Dec. 10th). The first quest I go for is some twisted "go out and kill some undead dude that killed his wife, and bury his remains with her". OK. So I go out and it takes me the better part of 60 seconds to find this guy only to have him killed by someone else. Ended up being cool in the end, cus 30 secs later he reappears! That quest compleated, I go for another one. "***" I say, as it involves more killing of little spiders. Well the only redeaming thing about that quest is that the spiders actually attacked me! Up until then I'd pretty much just walked right past zombies, big bats, and wolves.

Anyway, I go back and the only reason I didn't delete everything right there is that the next quest involves killing some crusaders. There was even a little back story behind the quest. Then the REAL fun starts. Just before I accept the quest some dude asks if I want to join him as a party! :cool: I says to myself and I accept his offer, and the quest. Then I look at his level. One. I'm at level 5 by this time and think "what the hell, he probably just wants some help on the begginning quests". So I figure I'd follow him. Alls he ends up doing is following me around, claps when I kill something, and only asks "what is your real name". That's when I figure **** him. So I go off to do my quest, and just like I predicted, he follows. All goes well and good, I start by taking out the surrounding guards, and then I work my way up to the spell casters at the top of a hill, taking them down in the process. Then I hear this "grunt" sound and turn around to find that the idiot has managed to agro not one, but a group of these crusader dudes. Naturally I don't want to seem like an a-hole so I go in to help, but he dies before I can kill them all. So, I finish them up, and even kill one nearby, just so that he can come back and resurect in peace. Then I look back on what should be dead people littering the ground, only to find that the origanal camp has ressurected! Needless to say I, having what I need for the quest figure **** him and go back to complete the quest. I'm and a-hole and proud of it ;)

The next quest ends up being like the last, but this time I have to loot one of the bodys and get a set of orders. Sweet. Looks like the "main" quest is taking shape! Short version: I go, do some killing, loot, and run back. Simple hit and run. For my next quest I'm supposed to go out into the big wide world and meet some dude, and give him the orders. again, short version: I find the guy and talk to him, and get the next quest: Go kill some more zombies. No real reason, or even a link to the previous quest. I shake my head.

The one thing I haven't even mentioned the actual gameplay/graphics aspects of the game. Let me start with the better of the two: graphics. Some damn good ones. Just as much detail as I've had on any other games, but with the added bonus of good lighting, and nice use of "feel" too. I even tried a few other races just to see the sights, and I have to say there's some good work. I especially like the native american stuff for the taurens! 10 out of 10.

Now for the bad: gameplay. OMFG. After all the rave reviews from warcrack addicts I expected more. Hell, after watching a whole heap of videos from WoW, I expected more. Seriously, for an online game where you can interact with other players, there is a serious lack of need for it. Really. I got up to level 6 on my own. That level 1 guy just got himself killed, and without helping much, if at all. I pretty much just targeted what I wanted to attack, ran over to it, and hit the rage ability I had every once in a while, if only to speed things along. I don't think I got below 1/2 health more than twice. Once with the spiders, but I got away, and once I died just cus I wasn't paying attention. That's right, I got board. Hell I even tried out an undead mage (just cus the undead look cool) to see if what should be (as in most games) the polar opposite of the warrior, would be any more fun. Nope. This time I target something, and get to hit it down to <1/3 health. Then I get to stupidly hit it again and kill it with a ranged attack at melee range. Another thing to note is damage taken. With the warrior I usually took 1-4. Remember, that's with armor. The mage without armor only took 1 damage a hit at maximum!!!! With no skill needed from the player, and being able to mage stuff at melee range, I am forced to give the gameplay 3 out of 10. It was fun but by no means special or ground-breaking.

Anyways, it feels like I've wasted the last two days of my life, even though I only spent about 12 hours of that on WoW. To be honest I'm glad I only paid 2$ and not 50+$. Shortly before posting this I've gone through the process of deleting everything. The following are some fun screenshots I got before.

[/rant]

Pics -
    lvl 6 warrior:
    WoW002.

"air bass" in front of starting tomb:
    WoW004.

"salute" in front of chaple:
    WoW005.

Warrior over dead body:
    WoW006.

My Mage at lvl 1. Called him "bondomage" cus of the mask:
    WoW007.

My mage charging up a fireball:
    WoW008.

Mage firing a fireball:
    WoW009.

Selection screen view of mage:
    WoW010.

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    It's a MMO. It's supposed to consume your life. My brother played that for a few hours a day until he quit last week in favor of Runescape. He says it gets boring, because you don't really use all those skills you learn, you just get stuff from looting corpses, so it's really repetatative.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That looks corny.

-Mike

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Kinda unrelated, but this is my brother and I in Final Fantasy XI.

img_0000.

I'm the gigantic one, and my brother is the little one. In reality, he's bigger than I am.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Ahhh MMO's. The land of being able to act out your fantasies. Him, being able to crawl into small burrows and fit into a normal car, and you, being able to reach things on the top shelf. What more does a man need?

6. I played wow for a few months. Got up to level 46 before I decided I wasn't getting my $15/month worth and that it started taking several hours to do instances. WoW is fun, but I enjoy having a real life again.

7. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    I'll never understand this game.

8. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    WoW is spreading like the plague. I seem to hear of it every place I turn. Orcs are entering my head through my ears and turning my brains to mash.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm watching LoTR:TTT right now!! :D

-Mike

10. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I fell asleep in the theater when I saw that one. It was the opening night. Three hours starting at midnight...bad move.

Now, don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed Warcraft three, but this WoW plague?
    I'd rather it be Starcraft.

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Done. Deleted the characters. Finally got on the server after waiting like 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour.

Thank [some obscure deity] that's over :rolleyes:

12. Mole

Mole

Jul 7, 2005
    He... he quit WoW for RUNESCAPE? I hate WoW, but I think the only thing that I would want to do less than play Runescape would be sit in a completely empty room.

I quit WoW when I was about halfway through level 55. Too much of a grind.

13. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I dunno. He said the skills are actually used in Runescape, so there's an actual point in gaining/leveling them.

14. With a game like WoW, and I would imagine most/all other MMOs, it helps if you know people in the game. Either friends from school/work etc. who you can play with, or making new friends in the game.

I currently have a lvl 60 warrior and a 60 rogue, but it's only fun to me because I started playing with a bunch of friends. However, with all the end game raiding that's required in order to progress your characters further, I've found my play time has ground to a near halt, simply because grad school doesn't give me that much time to play, or at least not for hours on end like I would need in order to complete an instance.

That said, I have also made several friends within the game that I enjoy talking to, even if that means I log on for 10 minutes just to chat.

Also, if you're not a fan of the fantasy genre of fiction, and/or you don't like video games to start with, you already have something against the game to begin with. Just like taste in music, it's a very individual thing.

15. The only comments I have on World of Warcraft is that I loved watching the video of that funeral slaughter, cruel as it was to the people it happened to it was somewhat amusing to watch...and they did choose a battle server after all.

Second, I have a friend who plays WoW and I was there the day he was meant to be vacating his rental property through an eviction notice no less and he hadn't lined somewhere else up to live because of playing WoW and his only concern was re-establishing his connection to the game so he could keep playing without losing honour and he had all his gear still to move etc and it was 7pm when I spoke to him :rollno:

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    EU
    Blizzard actually, after a year of whines, made the honor system better - you no longer lose any honor points when you don't play for a while, so you have a chance of real life even if you are a hardcore (no-life) WoW addict. Also what's better now is that the system rewards long time players, what is what you would expect from a monthly-payment game.

I played WoW pretty much during last spring and summer, then I got fed up with it, one reason being the said honor system where you needed to play PvP minimum of 5-6h a day just to keep up with other guys trying to get that rank up. I wanted to do some stuff in the real life too, so it wasn't worth it.

Since the summer I have got only one month of gametime and was sure that I wasn't very interested getting any for some time.. Now, with the small revamps in the points system and Paladin talent tree, I would have a minor goal in the character developement and so Blizzard's got my palms slightly itching again.

17. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    AMEN!! Starcraft is oneo ft he few games PC games from 1998 that people still play.

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    L33tz0rzzzz

I'm sorry dude, but there's nothing as boring as WoW screenshots/movies when you don't play the game yourself ;)

My humble opinion of course ;)

19. WoW is such a money hording company. People should wake up and realize that there are tons of free MMORPG's out there that are just as entertaining as it. :rollno:

20. It's true that the first quests are pretty easy -- that's because their primary goal is to get the casual players hooked.

As one of the previous posters explained, a big part of the appeal of MMOs is the social aspect; i.e. interacting with lots of different people, making friends in the game, helping each other to level, maybe participating in a guild, etc. Another part of the appeal of WoW is exploring a VERY large and diverse "world". You basically didn't get out of the starter area.

So you "wasted" 12 hours? As if playing other types of games isn't equally a waste? And I agree: why post your "fun" screenshots if you're just here to criticize the game that you quit?