1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Recent Adventures In WoW (with some pictures)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    +1

2. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Well first off, Poop-Loops if your brother doesn't think skills are important, then he's a bad player. Sorry, its the truth.

Second, lvl 6? Where's your rend, stance, thunderclap... missing out there buddy.

See the real team content comes in instances and raids (generally begin around level 15). Each class compliments others, the warriors go in and take the damage, casters and range deal out the damage, healers make sure everyone stays alive.

lvl 6 = 5 hours.
    lvl 60 = 10 days (give or take).

The amount of time involved is insane... don't play it. Not worth it. It is fun though IMO. I am a full fledged and certified nerd though.

3. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Another funny thing, I was just thinking yesterday how nobody makes jawless undeads. I like it though, laughed to myself.

4. I've had the game since it came out at the end of 2004 and I'm only level 50. Its a great game I just have so many other games to play. I have ADD when it comes to gaming.

5. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    50-60 is like the most painful grind ever...

Burning Crusade (expansion pack) is coming out Jan 17. This should even out the playing field for those who have been 60 for 2 years and those that just turned 60. (You get better armor/weapons/trinkets by raiding (40 people) in whats called "endgame"). Luckily I won't be doing that, its pvp till the 17th for now.

6. lol, the OP played for like two days before deleting his character.

He probably spent more time installing the game than playing it.

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Sure, that makes sence, but those first level were REALLY boring. Even FFX with all the **** in the front was more fun in the begginning (and throughout) than WoW. If they wanted to hook me they wouldv'e thought out at least some kind of storyline. Even if it is based around faction vs. faction. I've played pen/paper RPGs, so I'm not new to the whole "work together" senario. "Forcing" that aspect from level 1 wouldv'e been more effective/interesting IMO. Most games out there are solo, so having to work with other people wouldv'e been a nice challange. Alas that "feature" does not seem to be there when it should. Never mind that maybe forcing the player to take a more active part in the battle sequence. Anything but just standing there and hitting a button every once in a while.

As I said above FFX (and all of the FF series) is just one example of an enthralling RPG. Theres also the 2 KOTORs, Morrowind/Bloodmoon/Tribunal, Oblivion, and more. Take note that all of those are 1st/3rd person "action" RPGs which is what the MMORPG styling seems to be based off of. Also those screenshots were just me foolin' around and having more fun NOT playing the game (in a sense). Plus the "it doesn't exist w/o pics" rule applies ;)

Unfortunatly true. Which is another thing: do patches need to be 1/2 a gig in size??? :rolleyes:

8. When they add a tremendous amount of fresh content they do.

9. As an avid RPG player myself, I have to say, you have to approach MMORPGs in a completely different way from closed-ended story-driven RPGs such as the FF series, Zelda series, Elder Scrolls series, KotOR, etc. To be honest, I picked up Oblivion, and played it for about an hour or two before I got bored out of my mind. The story just didn't pull me in the same way that FF, Zelda, and KotOR did. World of Warcraft, on the other hand, adds the new dynamic of playing with/against/around other people rather than a myriad of NPCs who are programmed to act a certain way based on your actions. I made an undead rogue on an RPGPVP server and played the kill-stealing jerk, since I figure that's one thing someone who had stealthing abilities would/could do.

Also, forcing the casual gamer to create groups in the first 6 - 10 levels of the game is likely to turn the casual gamer away from the game, since they might want to get a feel for the game by running around by themselves for a while. And at the end of the day, Blizzard is trying to encourage casual gamers to get into MMO gaming, and a lot of the patches since release have altered certain mechanics in the game to accommodate them, such as the PvP honor system revamp mentioned earlier.

But, at the end of the day, it's your life, and if you don't like the game, you don't like the game. You quit while still during the trial period, and you used it exactly the way it's intended to be used - attract people who want to play the game further, and dissuade others, such as yourself, without having to pay a monthly fee so you have nothing else to complain about than perhaps feeling like you wasted some of your time.

10. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    3 words:

Un

Real

Tournament!

Running around slagging euroteens skinned up as a Homer Jay in his tighty whities is still fun as hell 7 years later. Still blows the game play of brand new games out of the water, and it's free 24-7 and doesnt' require weeks of your life.

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yes it does. I played Counter-Strike (not Unreal Tornament, but also a popular first person shooter) a lot a few years back. Like, a LOT. I got fairly good. Then I took a break of like a year or two. I come back and am completely horrible. I spend a few weeks casually playing and people still blow me out of the water. How? Because they play hours on end and the game relies on the player's skill heavily. So if you want to beat the competition, you have to play at least as much. So I quit. Forever, this time.

12. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Counter-Strike has a lot of mods to make it easier for people. Auto-aiming headshots....

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    which is cheating.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That guy you met could have been banned for asking you your real name!

I don't play WoW myself but I have a friend who does and he seems quite obsessed by it. I'd play it myself, but when they're asking subscription fees for a game, I'm inclined to say no.

15. only 12 hours, no wonder you didnt enjoy youve gotta play all day everyday to get into it. /end nerd voice

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Funny enough shortly before my co-workers mentioned getting the trial version I decided to work on my bass speed, and they tried to convince me otherwise.

So what did I end up doing whilst waiting for stuff to DL and load: practice.

Hehehe (at least I find it funny)

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I don't care.

But he didn't like it, so he quit. I can't complain, since it's $5/mo now instead of $15/mo. Those $10 add up, and like you said, the time required is insane.

Actually, that was another thing he hated. The instances took WAY too long to complete. Unlike me, he has a life, so he couldn't handle spending that much time playing.

18. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I get a really big kick out of this , highly recommended if you have any inkling about the game or need a good laugh.

http://www.wowsouthpark.com/

19. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    I play.

Yep.

4ckbaxk.gif

20. SOA_bassist

SOA_bassist Guest

May 10, 2006
    in all honesty, it takes a while for the story to get up to speed, and it takes at least to level 20 to really get into it. That is where you first decent instance is ( Wailing Caverns ) and when you first get a glimpse at PVP action on PVP servers, and where you start really getting to new places. I think you should have at least been to 3 different major areas on each continent before choosing lol.

btw, Im a 39 UD Warlock, it kicks ass.