Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassman_Spike, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Hi

Here is a link to my webpage that has a link to the first solo song i recorded. I didnt write this peice myself.

As it says on the website i recorded this in a hurry. I recored by doing bass into digitech bp200 with my mini disk player pluged into the headphone jack of the bp200 and the line in on the MD player. I then used the line in on the soundcard of my computer and used blaze wave editor. I converted it to the lowest quality mp3 to make it a small file.

Here is the link

I would like to here you comments on the song...not really the quality of recording but my playing in general remebering that it was my first solo song and recorded in a hurry

thanks

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Sounds pretty good to me. I recognize it from somewhere but can't recall. I may have to get me one of those minidisc recorders. I like to do stuff on the fly sometimes but have nothing but my computer but I want something portable I can take to a park or something. Anyway, your playing is clean as is your recording.

3. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    Very nice...

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's... lengthy. It goes on for way to long for the type of solo it is. And actually to me, it sounds more the basis for a song idea and less a solo. A good song idea in my opinion. But I really don't get a solo vibe off it, but I'm crazy.

5. thanks for the comment matt

just a note about the song i didnt write it myself it was from a book...im doing a blues solo from the same book now i will put it on my site when ive finished it

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

ah, that's cool. What's this book you speak of?

7. Im not exactly sure but i think the book is called bass odesey

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Good going! nice round tone. I heard some great musical ideas in there. Keep it up.

I noticed on your web site that you're in "Year 11" of school, does that make you about 16 or 17 years old?

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah that's cool :)

Some nice dynamics and some nice playing. My only criticism is that there's some loose timing in there in places, but I can't hold that against you ;)

Keep it up!!!

10. Thanks for the comments guys

And to gfab333 yes i am 17

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    OK, that's what I thought. Don't get offended if some of the crusty old geysers around here criticize you some (no reference to the current posts here).

Try to learn something from everyone, if they get a little harsh, just ignore them. Works for me.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would never criticise anybody for this kind of thing - keep playing the Blues - it's the basis of a lot of different types of music.

I do think it's funny, ironic, whatever - when somebody says - I recorded a solo, but I didn't actually play any notes as such!! :eek:

Keep playing those "actual notes"!! :D

13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I'll thank you not to call me a crusty old geezer ;)

I'm only 29! :rolleyes:

Besides I wasnt being harsh, I was being honest. It is a great little solo - I think the comment about it going on too long is also true, but maybe you could remedy that by cutting down some sections and maybe picking up the pace a bit on some parts? Heck, I dunno? It is good though!

14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Aaah! This changes things a little - that'll teach me to not read entire threads!

I though this was your composition, well in which case, still some nice playing, but I was much more impressed when I thought you'd written it yourself.

You should pinch the ideas from the book, and make up your own solo :)

15. Its all cool guys i just wanted some comments guys not to turn into a argument

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    No arguments here. Just prepping you for the possibility of undesirable comments.

As for Bruce, I'm an old geyser compared to him. LoL!! Bruce is a very knowledgeable guy; I've learned a thing or two from his posts over the years.

17. Many of the crusty old geysers here mean well. It's what they have to say that counts... don't dwell too much on how they say it.

As to my comments.... can't seem to get to your tune right now. I'll try again shortly and edit this post to add my 2-cents.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I may be crusty... but 20 isn't THAT old. :bawl: