My Refinished Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sundogue, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Here are a few pics of my new refinished Fender Precision.

2. Nice! Whats the colour called? Purple redburst or something?
  3. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    That's freakin' hotttt!!!!!!!!!:cool:
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  5. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI

It's my MIM Fender Precision.

I stripped the finish off it and completely redid it.

I used a mahogany stain. But because the body wood has almost no grain and the wood was joined without regard to matching, I used a different technique for applying the stain.

The first 4 or 5 coats were rubbed in. Then there are about eight coats of stain applied by using a "sponge painting" technique to give it a unique, random pattern. To give it a bit more glow, I rubbed in some "classic oak" stain, in between some of the coats of the mahogany. When it was all "sponge-stained" to my liking, I airbrushed a mix of mahogany and ebony stain around the edge of the body. Then it was clear-coated.

This hid the actual (though slight) wood grain and the mismatched body wood.

I like how it goes with the tort pickguard.
  6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Very cool. Congrats on making it your own.
  7. Very nice. That looks alot like my brother's guitar. I think the colour's listed as "brown burst", although it looks more mahogony-ish than brown. Well to me anyway. But hey, I always liked how it looks, so your bass earns extra points with me.
  8. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    change your pickguard to black and it will be really cool
  9. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's nice.

Really nice.
  10. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks everyone.

I do have a black pickguard. I may try that out...though the very reason I stained it mahogany was because of the pickguard.

It's a little hard to tell in the pics, but because of the combination of "classic oak" and "mahogany" stain, the colors of the pickguard are also on the bass body.

I'm going to replace the pickups and pots eventually. I also plan on replacing the bridge with a brass one and add brass tone controls as well.
  11. radi8

Feb 10, 2004
  12. Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    What type of stains you used as in the company of the stains? Because I was thinking of doing the same to my MIM P Bass. Also what type of stripper did you use?
  13. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Great job. Looks good to me, but will it still be worth $10,000 in 30 years? :)
  14. Cranberry Juice

Cranberry Juice

Mar 1, 2006
    I think you should stay w/ that pickguard, I love it!!
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Looks great! Nice job.
  16. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    There are very, VERY few "burst" finishes I like and yours is one of the tops on my list. You did an outstanding job!
  17. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The "stripper" I used was a belt sander. :D I think it had a nitro finish...and no stripper I had did anything to it.

I used MinWax Polyshades. The polyurethane is right in with the stain. It's a pain to work with if you use a brush. I always use a rag and rub it in. It takes longer, but looks better.

Though it has poly in it, I always follow up with a clear gloss final coat.

Typically I use all kinds and brands of stain and clears.

I'm experimenting on other bodies (just cheapos people have given me) with different ways to apply stain. By alternating stain and clear coats, and rubbing the stain on in a circular pattern, I can almost fake a nice quilted pattern. It has that irredescent look at different angles because of the swirls and the light passing through the layers of clear.

It's fun to take something that looks cheap and make it look better.
  18. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

Super refinish job , looks very nice !

i'd keep the tort pickguard , but maybe think about black hardware ...

19. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    No, probably just the $250 I paid for it. :)