1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Review: Ampeg B-100R vs. Ashdown EB 12-180

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mulepods, Apr 25, 2006.

1. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    So I decided to get a portable combo for rehearsals and small gigs. I want something with good tone and decent volume. Weight is not really an issue to me. So I decided to evaluate an expensive option (the Ampeg B-100R) against the budget option (the Ashdown Electric Blue 12-180).

I picked up the Ashdown on eBay for $200. It's in perfect condition. I got the Ampeg from Guitar Center for $365 brand new. I had to haggle to get that price. The tag said $550.

Both these amps have similar features. But the Ashdown has a 12" while the Ampeg has a 15". The Ampeg is pushing 100 watts through a 4ohm speaker, while the Ashdown is pushing 180 watts through an 8ohm speaker. So the Ashdown is probably about 120 watts, in reality.

So I've got them in my living room and I've been playing them for about 2 hours. I gotta say, the Ashdown is really surprising me. I thought it would be no match for the Ampeg. I thought the Ampeg would have vastly superior tone, and the 15" would make a huge difference in bass response. But the Ashdown sounds about 90% as good as the Ampeg, to my ears. Both amps have a very warm vintage sound for solid-state gear.

Anyway, the real test is tomorrow: rehearsal with a loud drummer and 2 guitars. I'll update afterwards...

Attached Files:

• gear.
      gear.jpg
      File size:
      54.6 KB
      Views:
  2. MixedMsgr

MixedMsgr

Jun 10, 2006
    What were the results of using the Ashdown at rehearsal? I'd like to know, as I'm about to buy one soon.

Thanks.