1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My review of GK MB112 ....???????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White Funk, Dec 7, 2018.

1. White Funk

White Funk

Nov 25, 2018
    Hidey ho my compadres, today I received my new amp from Sweetwater and I quickly gave it a workout. The reason the title has question marks in it is because I'm not really sure if this is more of a review of the GK or of my other bass amp - the diminutive, lowly, discontinued Hartke B600, 60 watt, one 12" speaker combo. For the longest time I have been impressed with the little Hartke. Mind you, I've been around the block with amps a few times - Carvin 1000 watt stack, vintage Ampeg 100 watt tube head on I forgot what cabinet, Mesa Walkabout Scout and a bunch of other things I just can't conjure up right now. I bought the little Hartke on a whim years back and have been constantly impressed by it's sound, volume and range of tones - all for around 300 bucks. Anyway, back to the GK. I did a lot of net surfing to decide on a new amp (GAS, no other reason really) and finally decided to give the GK MB112 a whirl. I gotta say it's definitely a nice amp but I'll tell ya - the Hartke musta had me spoiled. I think the Hartke sounds as good if not better! Again, not the say the GK doesn't sound good - it does, but that little Hartke!! Back to the GK - I will say it has PLENTY of volume and handles a low B string effortlessly (the Hartke breaks up at half volume with the low B). It is also significantly LIGHTER than the Hartke. So you have more volume, less weight - a good thing for an older guy with 22 titanium parts in his back. On the other hand the Hartke has a tilt back feature which is very nice when using it as a stage monitor. But back again on the other hand the GK has an XLR line out where the Hartke has a regular guitar cord type of line out. All in all if you're looking for a very nice amp I would suggest at least checking out the GK. In my case, I'm not sure if it's really money well spent yet. I'll fiddle around with it for a few more days before making a decision to keep it or return it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! White Funk - OUT!!!!

2. lifer_

lifer_

Oct 19, 2011
    Bulgaria
    I bought my MB112 last month. I needed some small home practice combo amp with enough volume to support a small stage gigs and rehearsals. I’m long time Hartke user with my LH1000 and HA3500 amps plus two HyDrive 410 cabs. Just needed something small with headphones out and AUX in. My first choice was Hartke HD75 but it wasn’t available for purchase at this moment and I didn’t had the patience to wait.:)
    So I decided to look elsewhere. To try something different tone wise.
    IMHO MB112 is totally different animal than my Hartke gear. It took me couple of hours to figure out the best possible tone for my band. The problem was in my preamp the Hartke bass attack. It is a piece of gear that I’m using from more than 10 years. They just didn’t match well. Everything get well after leaving just the shape part of the preamp switched on.
    Now I’m happy with the overall result and the rehearsals are a lot more easier for me caring just the MB112. The volume is enough for the band, one guitar, a DJ and a drummer. We play metal so I was surprised how loud the combo is. It takes my low A and B pretty well.
    For home practice it works very well, too.
    So, congratulations for you new amp! Like I said, it is different animal but this is a good thing.

White Funk likes this.
  3. White Funk

White Funk

Nov 25, 2018
    You know I have to agree with the shape switch - in one position (at least with my Jazz bass) it was much too midrangey - sounded boxy, nasally. In the other position - NICE. Maybe in a live band situation ill need the extra mid range but for present practice purposes I will be using the scoop position. You're right - they are two different animals and maybe it's just that my ears were trained to think the Hartke sound was "normal". Anwho, can't hurt to have another amp, can it? :hyper:

lifer_ likes this.