1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

My review of the new Dunlop Flatwound strings!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ShowKing, Mar 16, 2016.

1. I had preordered these new flatwound strings by Dunlop and finally received them.
    I was excited to try these out because I'm primarily a Dunlop Super Brights user on most of my basses.
    My Lakland P bass is my flatwound bass in my arsenal and I have been using La Bella Deep Talkin' flats in the 45-105 gauge.

These strings have black silks on both ends which I much prefer over the colorful silks that other manufacturers use.

Before I strung these on my bass, I was hoping for some of the qualities I liked about the Super Bright strings to be present on these flatwounds.
    1. lower tension
    2. string to string balance
    3. smooth feel
    4. and of course, a good sound
    The Dunlop Flatwounds have all these qualities to them.

Compared to the previous 45-105 La Bella flats I was using, the Dunlops, although the same 45-105 gauge, feel slightly lighter.
    The have a bit of a bouncy feeling and are a lot more effortless to play than my previous flats.

Intonating the strings at the bridge was fine.
    Had to move all the saddles forward slightly, which I expected if they were anything like Super Brights.

The Dunlops have awesome sustain for flats!
    Playing harmonics and chords is no problem. They will ring out.

They have a roundwound-like zing to them.
    They are still very new, so I would love to see how they age.
    Not overly bright but some new string zing is present at the moment which I like.
    I can see why Dunlop's description says "rolling off your bass' tone knob..." will take you to deep, mellow thump.

I haven't tried these with my effects yet but I imagine they will work really well with pedals.
    My impression so far is that these flats are very versatile.
    They met my expectations after loving the Super Brights so much.
    I will have to see how they sound over time but I'm loving them right now.

Here are some pics:

IMG_4609_zpsjahctjjp.jpg
    IMG_4606_zpshjo9tkyw.jpg
    IMG_4607_zps9l9iulvm.jpg
    IMG_4608_zpshtchc7wz.jpg

friend33, Mili, javi_bassist and 20 others like this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Thanks for your insightful review. I look forward to your follow up reports as they play in.

4stringmachinepete and ShowKing like this.
  3. All the reviews I've read so far, though there aren't too many of them just yet, indicate these new Dunlop flats are very similar to the EB Cobalt Flats in terms of tonal characteristics. I guess they can be classified as "modern flats" with almost round-ish qualities.

One particular word that has been mentioned more than once - SUSTAIN.

To me personally the best feature is the black silk and the correct winding length to fit the Fender-style headstock. ;)

The worst feature is they're Dunlop, meaning BSO does not ship them outside the US. :(

@ShowKing, your Lakland looks absolutely stunning with these strings to go with the black hardware! BEAUTIFUL IN BLACK! :thumbsup:

Leiria, Camaro, Mattrill and 2 others like this.
  4. Thanks very much! :D

5. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Are they grabby and sticky like Cobalts?

6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks for the review- looking forward to reports on their aging.

Those black silks look great, and all in a perfect line, yet.

Sure better than those gaudy red and purple silks that I haven't found a good way to dye black yet!

7. No these feel very smooth :)

kkaarrll, RichSnyder and nixdad like this.
  8. My previous flats had black silks too but the ones on the Dunlop are nicer. They look tightly wounded so it looks clean without those hairy silk bits that other brand flats have.

9. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    Might pick myself up a pair of Dunlop flats and do an audio comparison take on these strings with the cobalt flats.

1stnamebassist and adivin like this.
  10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    if they are "round" like i would love to hear a comparison with TI jazz flats.

11. iamthebassplayr

iamthebassplayr Gold Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Also interested in this comparison.

12. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i am also wounding about the tension and feel compared to Ti flats ... since the Ti strings have silk warpped under the flat wrap for a softer feel ... but i think that does sacrifice some sustain .. !?

thanks for the info ... these look interesting ..?!!

Edit ... just saw then at JustStrings ... $22.50 ... !! that's a price that 's worth checking out .!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  13. Yeah, for flats these are very nicely priced just like their super brights! awesome strings :)

14. galonso

galonso

Nov 29, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Now I'm gassing for that lakland PJ...

Attached Files:

Klonk likes this.
  15. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    Whoa, wait a minute. Are you saying these strings are $22.50 at JustStrings?!

WOW a lot cheaper than BSO sales them for @ $29.99 and that's odd of me to say cause BSO always have their strings at a reasonable price!

Eikari and carsbybigd like this.
  16. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    $6.95 to ship with just strings as bsol is free.
    Add your TB discount and bsol is better price wise.
    And plus Jason is just awesome.

17. bushbass

bushbass

Nov 6, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Have you ever played chromed? I'd be interested in how they compare in tone

18. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

These look a lot like GHS Precision flats from the images. I only say that, because GHS are the only other flat I've played that have points on the outer ribbon that have those "separation" points, or gaps in the winding.

Mattrill likes this.
  19. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    That's a pretty spiffy looking Bass, you have there.
    I sometimes forget just how good Tort looks on black. Nice...

20. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    good to know there are other options coming out in the flatwound universe.

I will note that the stickiness of the EB cobalt flats does wear off after a few hours of play time.

AstralBirth likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021