Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My review of the Zoom B2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Where did you get it for $75?

2. I have a friend who's a Zoom dealer. It's definitely worth it for $99, though!

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I actually went ahead and ordered one the other day based upon fourstringbliss's review. Well-written review, man!

We could use a review of the unit in the review section here at Talkbass (hint, hint)... ;)

4. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    Thank you Fourstringbliss for your review.
    It would be wonderfull as you tell us about the quality of the amp mod, the stompbox, if you could let us listen to the preset patches and/or your own presets, for me, it's the best way to judge the quality of this beast. :bassist:

Thank you so much in advance, as i live in a place where i can't test the B2 in a store. :crying:

5. You know, I almost bought the B2.IU so that I could record samples for posting here on TB, but I didn't! I can't really record (plus, my computer is very slow).

I think that the B2 is a lot like the Variax Bass. The bass models are based on classic basses. Of course they don't sound exactly like the real thing, but from what I've heard they're all viable bass sounds.

I've never played any of the actual amps modeled in the B2, so I don't know how accurate they are. All I know is that I have six great sounding amp patches set up to choose from. I am running my bass into the B2 and then the output into the active input on my Carvin RC210. Man it sounds great!

I'm afraid that when people try the B2 out they're going to be disappointed before they give it a real chance. It takes a bit of fiddling to find your sound. They've got a preset without effects for each of the amp models and they're each a great platform for perfecting each for your bass and amp.

I'm not really using any of the effects right now, but I might set up some patches with a chorus or something like that.

I'll make sure to start a B2 review thread sometime this week.

6. I got a PM about the EQ on the B2 (hey, that rhymes), so I'm attaching a couple of pictures from the manual and one from the website - all about the EQ. I hope it helps!

7. A good website for the B2 is here: Zoom B2, and the EQ pic from that site is attached.

8. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Thanks for the pics! Very informative :D

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have a rather strange question :confused: - How is the bypass? Is it a true bypass? Does it color or interfear with the signal when in bypass mode? Also, How are you running it? Through the effect in/out on the amp or inline between the bass and the amp?

10. The bypass is transparent, and if you hold both footswitches down for a few seconds you get a mute function. The tuner works in both the bypass and mute modes.

I am running my bass to the B2 and the B2 output into the active input on my amp. I would use it through the fx send/return, but it sucks on my amp. One thing to be aware of - your volume will be louder when using the B2 because of the added gain, so you'll have to adjust things on your amp accordingly.

11. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    can anyone send us some samples, as if i don't ear it, i'll probably buy the pedals that lack in my setup (a flanger/tremolo/octaver) as individuals pedals.

Without earing it for real, i can't take the risk to buy it, and behringer sales each individual pedal for less than 20e/$, so with 100$, i can buy 5 pedals.

Please can you make an effort for people like me who can't test it where we live?

Thank you in advance.

12. I wish I could but I have no way to record to my computer. I can tell you that you could use the octaver + flanger or the tremolo + flanger, but not all three together (if that's what you wanted) with the B2. If you're not going to be using them all together at the same time (which would be quite a sound!) I would suggest getting the B2.

Sure, you could get five Behringer pedals for $100, but all you'd have would be five crappy, plastic pedals! I've heard that some are OK, but most are lame. The effects on the B2 are all pretty good and the housing and switches are metal, so it won't break like the Behringer pedals will.

If you would be using all three pedals together, you should go with the Behringer and hope for the best.

I've attached a shot of the B2 signal chain so you can see how the effects can be used together.

13. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    Thank you for the B2 signal chain, in fact, it's quite the same as was the zoom 506, and if i understood right, we can only use one effect in each module.

About the behringer pedals, i agree with you that the plastic box and the switch are fragile but an "expert" had opened the box of three of them (BBDI, bass chorus and DI) and he said that the electronic is very good : they have used some good quality composants, so all in all, there always the possibility to buy three or four of these pedals and keep the electronics to put them in a unique quality box with good switches (when warranty comes off) and as you say i wish good luck.

The zoom b2 should have be good as we can program user patches and it's not a big box, so all in all, i hope that someone will post samples to help me take a decision.

Anyways, thank you Fourstringbliss :hyper: :bassist:

14. Sorry I couldn't help out more. Good luck!

15. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Got my B2 today and I've been fiddlin' with it. My first impression is that it is actually pretty damn good in a variety of areas. I still need to actually create and store my own patches, but many of the patches were quite usable without any adjustment.

I'll give my first impression pros and cons:

Pros:

- Overall, it tracks and responds quite well. The synth tracking left a bit to be desired (*sigh* - what else is new), but most everything else performed well.

- As fourstringbliss stated, the models are good. I especially liked the Trace model (being a Trace freak, natch I would). The SWR, Ampeg and Acoustic models were good as well.

- The wah effects are nice and the bottom doesn't drop out. Retains the bass tone well, while providing a decent selection of wah settings.

- There is a variety of overdrive and distortion options, including models of the Boss OD, the TS9 and the Sansamp and MXR drivers.

- Seems sturdy - made mostly of aluminum, with some plastic and rubber sides.

- Features a tuner that you may or may not like. Seemed very similar to the Bass Pod tuner, if a little more accurate.

Cons:

- While I like the modeling overall, I found that slapping produced an almost slightly distorted, digitized effect (my gain was turned down for this in order to prevent clipping) when popping the string. As such, the the pop seems a bit thin and artificial.

- When you hit bypass, you have to hit both buttons at the same time, causing the effect to (VERY) briefly slip into the next highest or lowest setting, depending upon which button you hit first. This is mentioned in the manual and it states that, upon going out of bypass, you are returned to your original setting. I found that it returned me to the setting to which it changed right before going into bypass, but that was from initial testing, and I'll need to fiddle a bit more to see if that really is the case or if I did a "double step" on one of the buttons.

- Some of the OD and distortion modes tended to cause loss of low end. Not that uncommon for OD, but worth mentioning. Don't expect a Fulltone.

Those are my first impressions. I have a lot of tweaking to do.

16. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I was just wondering... how's the compressor? I really do need a comp and I was seriously considering one of these. They seem to be a great product!

17. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Not sure yet. I always have a comp hooked up in my rack, so i never use pedal-based compressors.

18. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    As you are discovering this "magic new red beast", can you make a few samples of some of the presets as they are intended to model existing gear or artists, for us to compare a little.

Thank you in advance. :hyper: :bassist: