My "Review" on my Essex 70's Jazz Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bobbo 77', Oct 12, 2004.

1. Hey Y'all,
    Purchased this Essex Custom Handmade, 70's style jazz bass about 2 month's ago. My original plan was to get a Re-issue 75 ' Jazz Bass, but my budget did'nt allow it.

I had researched and read many review's for other folk's who had bought these basses, and I knew going in I'd have to:
    1) Replace bridge
    2) Change pot's
    3) replace pick up's
    4) And not so urgent, replace pick guard

Well, one fell into my lap,and purchased it for $200.00. I was very surprised of workmanship, which I thought for the money, was very good, and beside's, on the head stock it say's "Custom Hand Made". I also noticed this thing is VERY, VERY, heavy!!! I believe it's body is Northern Ash. I lightly sanded and Tru oiled the neck, which felt really nice, purchased a Bad Ass for $10.00 plus a $ 25.00 gift cert. I had lying around, Bid on won a 70's stlye, black pick gurad for $14.00, and bought some replacement Jazz pick up's for $37.00. The bass sounded very good when I got it, but I'm also using a Sadowsky Pre amp pedal with it , which really take's it over the top! I'm very pleased with the purchase, and I know with the new pick up's, it should be Righteous!

So for $ 261.00, I have a Jazz bass that does what I want it to, has the "Look" of a 77' jazz, play's and sound's really nice, action is nice and low, and probably saved myself around $200.00- $ 300.00 skin's! I very happy with this bass.

Hope you dig this "review"

2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I got one a few weeks ago and I love it stock. It's not that heavy, and it still sounds amazing. I got mine for 100 :p.