Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My "Review" on my Essex 70's Jazz Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bobbo 77', Oct 12, 2004.

1. Hey Y'all,
    Purchased this Essex Custom Handmade, 70's style jazz bass about 2 month's ago. My original plan was to get a Re-issue 75 ' Jazz Bass, but my budget did'nt allow it.

I had researched and read many review's for other folk's who had bought these basses, and I knew going in I'd have to:
    1) Replace bridge
    2) Change pot's
    3) replace pick up's
    4) And not so urgent, replace pick guard

Well, one fell into my lap,and purchased it for $200.00. I was very surprised of workmanship, which I thought for the money, was very good, and beside's, on the head stock it say's "Custom Hand Made". I also noticed this thing is VERY, VERY, heavy!!! I believe it's body is Northern Ash. I lightly sanded and Tru oiled the neck, which felt really nice, purchased a Bad Ass for $10.00 plus a $ 25.00 gift cert. I had lying around, Bid on won a 70's stlye, black pick gurad for $14.00, and bought some replacement Jazz pick up's for $37.00. The bass sounded very good when I got it, but I'm also using a Sadowsky Pre amp pedal with it , which really take's it over the top! I'm very pleased with the purchase, and I know with the new pick up's, it should be Righteous!

So for $ 261.00, I have a Jazz bass that does what I want it to, has the "Look" of a 77' jazz, play's and sound's really nice, action is nice and low, and probably saved myself around $200.00- $ 300.00 skin's! I very happy with this bass.

Hope you dig this "review"

Bobbo

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I got one a few weeks ago and I love it stock. It's not that heavy, and it still sounds amazing. I got mine for 100 :p.