My review: Squier Contemporary Active HH Jazz Bass 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HarveyRobertson, Nov 7, 2018.

1. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    It appeals to you cosmetically or you would not have purchased it. $400. That's not a bad price if it sounds and plays nice. From the pics, it seems merely cosmetic. IMO, it actually looks decent and I'm curious now. You may have to go through quite a few to find one that can pacify your budget and appeals to you cosmetically
    You can't even get close to that price, purchasing a plane ticket to Indonesia. Still, It's your cash and I can see where that might me bugging you indefinitely.

TheDominoKid and gregmon79 like this.
  2. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    When it came out, I did not like it. This confirms it.
    Squier should stick with what they do the best.

3. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    If memory serves, I remember someone saying that these basses were a bit heavier than expected, 11 or 12 lbs.

SickAura likes this.
  4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Good review, most of the OP's observations fall in line with my own. Lots of weight variation, unfinished and inconsistent wood quality on the necks (seems this is typical on Indonesian produced instruments) , thin sounding EQ, highly dependent on amp used, ETC. Does anyone know who makes these? I thought maybe Cort. If that's the case they are inferior, quality wise, to the lower line Ibby's IMHO.

HarveyRobertson likes this.
  5. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    gregmon79 and HarveyRobertson like this.
  6. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    I have an Indonesian Squier Deluxe Active Jazz Bass from 2007 which this model appears to be replacing.
    It has none of the flaws described here and the active electronics make a significant difference to the sound.

7. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I really like the bass the OP has posted. I'm not a nitpicker. I also really like that one above in satin flat black!!! WOW what a gorgeous bass! ! But this was the one I'd really want. What a deal!! I wish I would've come across these when I was hunting to buy a bass. So nice.

8. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Nice review and good photos.

9. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    I saw one in black on ebay recently. It caught my eye even though I don't really fancy all black guitars. It gives it a more modern look, reminiscent of the Aerodyne. It was made in white too. As to the nitpicking, I think I would be bothered by a neck that does not feel homogeneous on the back. This is something the hand feels all the time.That on mine is nicely smooth all over, pleasant to touch. It makes a difference.

gregmon79 and HarveyRobertson like this.
  10. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson Lowdown Showdown

Apr 3, 2018
    Benton Kentucky
    Decided to spend more and ordered the 2018 Fender MIJ midnight P bass.

I'm hoping the quality, fit and finish is good. 1_ec412bede7 (1).jpg
    Double in price tho , I have a MIM Fender Jazz and it's sweet.. no more Korean, Indonesian built basses from Fender for me.

Tvrtko, scottm and Bass Man Dan like this.
  11. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    I've had a VM 70s Jazz myself, and never had any of the issues the OP's bass has. Mine was a nearly perfect bass. Their only weak spot are the pots. Everything else is solid and professional level stuff.

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  12. Good pics and review.
    No good excuse for the weak pre.
    All in all, not too bad for a Squier,
    just not 400 bux worth of good.
    Maybe OK with a better pre or better QC or lower price.

13. HarveyRobertson

Apr 3, 2018
    Benton Kentucky
    If this were $300 then I could live with the shoddy workmanship because honestly, the bass plays fine, sounds meh, in a mix I can guarantee it'll get lost if you don't fiddle with your tone knobs on the amp, because the pre is that much of a weak link.

14. HarveyRobertson

Apr 3, 2018
    Benton Kentucky
    Now mind you.. I played this through my Fender 500 210 combo mated to a 2nd 210 fender cab and I played it through my Peavey Max 300 15" combo... Had to fiddle with the amp EQ just to cut through playing with a backing track on my PA in my rehearsal room... I do not usually mess with my amps EQ, I like to run my basses through the front of the amp and straight up noon on EQ , 1/3 to 1/2 on gain and then adjust volume as needed.

So maybe on a high end amp.. ?? I don't know..

bound'n'blocked likes this.
  15. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    +1 :thumbsup:

This is a Squier:
    613PVrrf5oL._SL1500_.jpg

This is a Squire:
    a850cbffd1f0137eba105f33a650b68a.jpg

16. That is the only reason I buy a bass, neck feel. If it doesn't feel right, no need to buy it.
    Would you buy and wear a pair of shoes that were too tight just because they looked good?

17. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Skwyure ?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I think you’ll be happy with the P bass. I’m not a Fender guy but if I had to have one, this might be it.
    Tried one Tuesday...really liked it. Believe me, the store I played it in doesn't let bad basses hang on the shelf...back to the warehouse they go.

19. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Did you make a clip of how it sounds? Just curious.

20. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Absolutely, I had tried several basses out, looking to spend close to $600-700 and walked away with the Ibanez SR300e, it's really a fantastic bass.

Gilmourisgod and ruju like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021