My review: Squier Contemporary Active HH Jazz Bass 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HarveyRobertson, Nov 7, 2018.

1. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson Lowdown Showdown

Apr 3, 2018
    Benton Kentucky
    Thanks JD56Hawk! That makes me feel good about purchasing the Fender LE midnight P bass

jd56hawk likes this.
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Matte finish always seems problematic to me, it either polishes up to semi-gloss at wear spots or takes marks like a chalkboard, neither great cosmetically.

HarveyRobertson likes this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You're welcome. Too bad you're not in Jersey.
    Russo Music isn't your average music store.

4. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    @HarveyRobertson ,
    Could you be so bothered as to correct the spelling of Squier in your posts and title of the thread?

Thanks,
    John

5. HarveyRobertson

Apr 3, 2018
    Benton Kentucky
    Fixed.. thanks

6. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    This black one is really gorgeous: Squier Contemporary Active Jazz Bass V HH Sweetwater Exclusive - Satin Black

7. HarveyRobertson

Apr 3, 2018
    Benton Kentucky
  8. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    For a working musician like the OP, this is no more a nitpick than a chef being particular about knives (and you can spend more on a knives than a USA bass).

You need a bass that is worthy of a pro, and it can be had for $400. Respect. I agree the used market is a good place to find it.

9. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    I played the 5 string version of this bass at 2 different locations.

Cosmetically I didn't notice any flaws - though I did not inspect the neck pocket that closely.

The pre/pups worked as they should and sounded pretty good to me though a little scooped.

I compared it closely to similar priced Yamaha's and Ibanez's and definitely preferred it. I thought it played and sounded better.

Though I would probably change the pickups this bass is high on my list for an inexpensive 5'er

Leo Thunder likes this.
  10. jjbb123

jjbb123 Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Minneapolis/Decorah
    Man, I absolutely love mine! I have basses in the $1000+ category that don’t feel as good as my contemporary! It feels as good as my BassMods, Fender American Deluxe, Sire and Fender Japan ‘75. Must have got a good one. I’ve even recorded with it for a few producers. Probably my fav bass to just pick up and noodle with. May upgrade pickups in the future but I love the dark deep tone i get with it stock.

Attached Files:

gregmon79 and HarveyRobertson like this.
  11. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    I got used to every neck I had so far. The first impression is almost always odd but it goes away quickly. It's not like a shoe pressing on feet. A constant reminder of poor finish quality, on the other hand, would likely spoil the pleasure. It's like seeing a picture going at an angle on your wall all the time.

DJ Bebop and HarveyRobertson like this.
  12. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
  13. I get the thing about the finish. I was just saying for me, it's about feel first. I will overlook some odd first impressions if it has incredible tone but, only to a point as it has to be comfortable to play, for me. If it's a finish issue on a new instrument, I may overlook it if the tone, sound is exceptional if not, back it goes. If it's used, well...

scottm likes this.
  14. It would be like wearing a tight shoe if it was not fun to play :)

15. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I really would like to hear more opinions about these basses. They look really cool and I think I'll get one eventually.

16. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Nice review. I think squier is in a weird place right now. Theyre fighting Sire for the active market, and probably slapped these together to do that. Also the disappearance of the affinity and VM precision (non-PJ) bugs me.

17. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Leave it to Gorn, lives to catch Squires. :laugh:

18. jjbb123

jjbb123 Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Minneapolis/Decorah
    Get one! If it’s anything like mine you’ll love it! I love the feel of the bare unfinished neck. Liked it so much I bought a vintage modified 77. It’s super nice too! And I have some nice basses.

gregmon79 likes this.
  19. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Jazz basses are one of the basses I’ve never really had or got into. But the last year or so I’ve realized how awesome they are. I have a vintage modified jazz that’s been shelved on and off over the last few years. But lately I’ve been playing it a lot and loving it! I want to get a beastly active, quiet, jazz. I’ll be happy. And this one seems like one. Cause I actually had plans to get the one this one replaced. These look great too though. And I’m liking the pups in them. And the looks.

jjbb123 likes this.
  20. Bruce Sahroian

Bruce Sahroian

Dec 10, 2016
    Hello;
    I just purchased one of these! After receiving a Squire Jaguar bass damaged from shipping! Anyway, last week I sold my G&L L-1000 that I had since 1982 Bought it brand new! Im now 73 (JHC!!) and I don't gig, just fiddle around in my garage for the dog and he doesn't like it too much.
    The neck finish is a new thing for me as I have always played an a slick surface neck. But the sound that comes from this bass sounds just fine to me! Let us not forget that (in my case) I have the amp from hell!! and nothing can sound bad through it!! So Im sure that I can make a few changes to the amp to compensate!
    BTW! This bass costs me $275!!! New!!!
    Bruce

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021