My rhythm guitar player......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cacklingjackyl, Nov 24, 2004.

1. is also our lead singer. He is new at the guitar, so I have to show him chords from time to time and help him along. I have being writing more than I ever have lately. Some of these riffs I have been writing on the guitar, for him to follow. However, sometimes I write certain riffs on the bass. There is this one song in particular that I wrote on the bass and started jamming with our drummer. The rhythm guitar player got interested in making the riff into a song and now during practice he has learn to mimic by bass riff perfectly. The problem is that I do not think the song sounds that great with us doubling each other. I have thought about changing the line I play to accent the original riff and changes I wrote. I am working now to find something that I think fits. But this leads me to a question that is both philosophical and practical...

Should it by my responsibility here to come up with the new line, or should I just tell the fledging guitarist that he should try to come up with a part that fits my riff? IMO, the riff I wrote sounds better on the bass. It flows and it is a slap line that the drummer and I are locked in on. However, I am used to being the bassist and being the one that feeds of the music to find that space where I need to be. Any thoughts here?
  2. i always find it more interetsting to have different parts instead of doubling. have him work on something and you work on writing a counterline.

good training for the both of you!
  3. Try both and stick with the option that sounds better. Maybe you can come up with a guitar part for him to play?

There are no rules when writing music, and there should be no ego trip.

Good luck. :)
  4. Thanks for those 2 reponses. I'm sure you are both right. The ego thing is so true, especially for us bass players. A bass player with a big ego can definately be problematic. I'm sure I'll find something that works soon. We just bought an 8 track so we will be able to do alot more homework outside of practice. This should help me nail down something.
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    There's no right or wrong. Both of you come up with stuff. Maybe have him write some vocals where you could write the guitar riff off his vocal melody.