1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My rig can kill small animals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Arnopol, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Thought you guys would get a kick out of this.

I bought a Tecamp Puma 900. My main reason was to be able to push the big speakers I'm making to insure no rattles, leaks, etc.Turns out to be my favorite amp.

A little background. I'm a bit of a health nut. A few years back I bought a 30# bag of wheat berries (seeds) to sprout for wheatgrass. They sat unused for 3 years. My workshop is split between my basement and garage. I noticed some whet berries on the floor and thought that the bag must have gotten busted or something.

We live in an older area very close to Lake Michigan. Occasionally we get a mouse or two. This year we were seeing more droppings than usual. I hate killing the little guys but it was getting to be a bit much. But I hadn't put any traps out.

So---I'm running a frequency sweep with a helluva lot of watts. When I got to about 80 hz I heard this crazy sound from my heating ducts and was showered with wheat berries. I realized that I was providing an inexaustable supply of food for our little rodent friends. I'm talking about a SHOWER of these. I now realize that the mice were freaking out and scampering around.

4 days later it started getting a bit stinky down there. As if my wife isn't pissed off enough at having our home turned into a manufacturing plant. (I WILL find a space!) There's really nothing you can do short of tearing walls out. The smell is starting to subside.

So---my speakers can kill small animals.

And we haven't seen any droppings for a week.

2. reminds me of that scene in Rock and Roll High School :D

What speakers were you driving to accomplish that?

3. Equal parts EEEUK and WOW.:cool:

4. bassfran

bassfran Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Is that what they mean when I hear the phrase 'value added'?

5. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    What kind of smell- urine/crap or kind of like when you release propane or MAPP gas? If it's urine, they may have just moved farther from the noise but if it's the latter, they, or some of them, are dead. That smell would be Methane, from their decomposition. Kind of metallic?

6. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Jun 3, 2011
    Wow, Not to hyjack the thread but I've smelled my share of decomp and I would never say it smelled like methane or metallic. When I think methane, I think sewer gas. All I have to do is picture putrefying corpse and I can smell it all over again.

OK, so I will hyjack this thread. I had a molecular biologist friend that informed me that the reason you can sometimes taste and smell a decomposing body even though you are no longer in the vicinity. The fatty deposits in the body break down first and go airborne quite easily. These fatty proteins like to cling to mucous membrane, like the insides of your nose, mouth, and your eyes. Lemon juice or any other citrus based juice will flush those little nasty hitch hikers out of your nose and mouth!

Sorry, I just had to!

Sepp

7. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

Apr 29, 2009
    a friend of mine came up with a system (imaginary)he thought could bring down a building..250 ten inch speakers and 25000 watts or something..comcrete cabinet.

8. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Nice!!

I made a fridge cab with eight of these drivers...

9. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player

Jun 12, 2008
    There should be an animated icon for prostrating oneself in awe.

10. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    80 hz, eh... Imagine the possibilities! I wonder what frequency kills mold, or termites?

11. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
  12. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I know that smell. The last mice we had turned out to be rats, though. Just two, but both are dead, one dying in my Dremel toolbox. Dang it, I had to throw the box away. Those little devils also tried to pry open the lids of the saddle bags on my Harley-Davidson Road King, and left lots of scratches.

Don't think I'll do poison again because you don't where they'll end up. I'm gonna start catching them and relocating them in the wild. It might be fun, actually.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021