My rig doesn't seem that loud?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ardorx, Mar 16, 2005.

1. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I'm using a new QSC RMX 1450 with a new Sansamp RBI into a genz benz 410 and a Eden D115T. Whenever i have the level on the RBI and the levels on the QSC all at 12:00, it does't seem very loud. I can hear it well, and feel it, i just thought it would be louder than it is. Would playing around with the filters on the back of the RMX make it louder? what are your thoughts on this?

thanks in advance.
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

How loud is it when you max the QSC?
  3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    How loud is it when you max the RBI?
  4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

OK, I'll ask the obvious next question. How loud is it when you max the QSC AND the RBI?
  5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Are you running the amp in bridged mono??
    The amp will only run at 4 and 8ohm. I assume both speakers bring you down to a 4 ohm load.
    Are you using speakon? (If not what size speaker wire). If you are using thin speaker wire like an 18 gauge or even a 16 gauge, you might experience some signal loss and possibly distortion due to the amount of power going to the speakers
    Also there are the DIP switches on the back of the amp that have to be set to run in bridged mono mode.

I would recommend running the amp full all the time and back off when that much volume is not needed. I would use the RBI to "dial in" my sound and then use the power amp to make it louder.
  6. I believe that typically the power amp in a pre-power setup is set to max volume, and the overall volume is set by the gain controls on the pre. Try that!
  7. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Alright, first of all, this thing is really damn loud when it's maxed. (rbi and qsc). so i'm not sure why it's not as loud as it used to be. I'm going to dissassemble my rack today and re-connect everything today.I also plan to take out a rackmounted Rocktron distortion unit that i have, i don'tuse the distortion but it has a built in eq that i've been using but i don't think i need it anymore. So hopefully that will help something, but once again, thank you for your help.
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I didn't catch the fact that it used to be louder. It's possible that something in your EQ could be sucking subsonic energy, and in that case, engaging the low cut on your power amp could conceivably help, but I'll bet that's not the problem. I can tell you that my Rocktron Intellifex doesn't play nice inline between a preamp and a power amp, especially not one with a fairly low input sensitivity. It just doesn't have the needed headroom for that, but it works great in a parallel loop. This is true even if it's in bypass, BTW. Does your Rocktron have a sensitivity switch on it, by any chance? I've inadvertantly switched mine to the wrong postion a few times, and that might be worth a look.
  9. You're probaly going deaf from it's loudness and that's why it seems quieter haha.
  10. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    i just ended up taking my rocktron out, and i'm going to re connect everything in a few. I'll see if that helps.
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in a pa that's usually the case. in a bass guitar setup not always. my stewart 2.1 sounds odd with the gains below 9 o'clock so i usually run them between there and 12. i use the preamp gain to set overall volume but i usually have it between 10 and 12 o'clock. with the input gains dimed and jsutusing a small bit of volume on the preamop your signal to noise ratio can be not so good, and the tone of the preamp can suffer if you barely have the gain on.
  12. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I have to somewhat crank the Aguilar in my pre power rig (input between 12:00 and 1:00, output at 3:00) and I use the poweramp to control volume.
  13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    In bridged mono, the amp will work reliably only into a load of 4 ohms or higher.