Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my rig, finally souding perfect!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sabo, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Sabo

Sabo

May 18, 2003
    im now running a trace elliot 400 watt head, ah400... with 2 trace 4x10's and they are super loud... no idea why they are so loud... then under those i have 2 ampeg 4x10 hlf's they are the pro cabs with the 3 port bottom, To power those im using a ampeg svt 4 pro, those 2 heads in my rack with my korg tuner, and im using and morley a/b switch to hook them both up to my Warwick corvette pro.. its a pretty good tone and overall sound with the 2 amps. I run one stack on onside and one on the other, one beside each guitarist. My trace DI seems to have some sort of a weird buzz though, need to have it serviced. Thanks for the read, good tone and loud as i wanna be and very room filling and fun

2. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Yes Sir. I bet you are very room filling. Damn! I wish I could say my rig was sounding perfect. The more I add and louder I go, The more problems crop up...

3. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Ah yes.

Thanks for the note Sabo. 4 4-10s. How sweet it is. 2 heads. One (the peg) happens to be my favorite.

Have you ever noticed how many times folks here complain about back pain, or how proud they are that they've found their sound with light stuff?
    I'm happy for them.

On the other hand, I get more sore from stage dancing 2 nights in a row, then I've ever been from schlepping my stuff.

I do sweat while setting up. But once it's there... oh yeah!

4. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Not me! Check my thread "I'm not happy with SWR." Big cabs move air. Thats what bass is all about.

5. Sabo

Sabo

May 18, 2003
    well, im pretty happy with my sound now I wasnt for a while, I actually had to change out my bass pickups. I have my ampeg setup pretty classic, with the bass knob up to about 7/mids7 with the selector at 2 being low mids and then trebele about 5.5 and i dont even use the graphic its flat. Then with the trace i have it pretty well setup cut some of the low lows around 30 then kinda arch it to aruond the 400hz range then kinda drop it a bit around 500-900 and then level the 2.3k and boost 5kish... I get a REALLY deep bass tone from the ampeg really clear, then the trace is nice and low but with some pop for the clarity... its nice..

I agree though, My rig may be heavy and a pain but it has wheels and hey atleast i look good right!!?!

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Where are you from? I'd love to see this in action...

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    And even better, you SOUND good ;)

Oh man, that sounds soo sweet! Any pics? :D

Its one thing to have a kick*** rig, but its one thing to have a kick*** rig thats sounds good.

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Where do you play with a rig that size?

Fill out your profile!

9. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    ;)

10. Sabo

Sabo

May 18, 2003
    i play alot of clubs, im from SC... the rig is nice sounds great but i always consider changing. I really enjoy the 2 eq's and mixed bass sounds. I will get some pics up soon for everyone to gaze in awe upon the rig =D

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sounds like an awesome rig!

Personally due to back issues - wonder if anyone that complains about the people who complain of back pain, have ever reall had their back go badly out on them.......- I have downsized my rig!

I had a Trace Elliot 4 x 10 and 1 x 15. I know how loud my rig could go, I imagine yours would do very nicely indeed, aded to that all the Ampeg stuff!

Now, I'm happy with a very big sound (believe it or not) from my Ashdown ABM Mini 4 x 8 and 1 x 15. Haven't noticed any less volume - but my back (and chiroprator) are both real happy now!

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Don't these clubs have PA systems? What kind of amp is your guitarist running?

The weight issue aside, that rig would be overkill for most/all of the clubs that I am familiar with. A few places might have room on the stage for me to have 2 stacks, but they all have soundguys who would tell me to turn it down because I'm interfering w/ the FOH mix.

13. Sounds like Woodstock all over again. It's a blast playing with a rig that size. I see nothing wrong with it if you can keep it under control. Wear protection....:bassist:

14. hah, you just contradicted yourself big time:D

15. Sabo

Sabo

May 18, 2003
    The cabs are for looks, and volume when I need it. In big clubs when we have played bands like PoD, The Beautiful Mistake, Allister etc... I usually turn down somewhat, but our stage looks awesome. One side is a Mesa Triple Rec + Marshall Cab Stack, then one of my stacks Drums in the Middle, Another Stack of mine, then a Marshall jcm2000 tsl 100 and a Marshall Cab Stack. It looks great, and the tonesare awesome.